Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Sumi, Quatchi, and Miga.

I'm a bit lost for words right now to be honest. It seems 78% of the Vancouver population agrees with me.

·
Registered
178 Posts
They don't seem very appropriate. I mean, where are their Tasers????

·
Registered
160 Posts
Why can't Canada have a distinct culture and symbols of its own?

Why do we have to have mascots that belong in a seizure-inducing Japanese kids show and a logo that represents 0.01% of the population?

There is no Maple Leaf to be found anywhere.

·
Premium Member
10,324 Posts
They're childish, hopelessly naive, and uninspiring, that's what they are.

More info here, if you are interested.
I think generally mascots at the olympics are kind of geared for kids, not adults.
They do have a certain look to them that is very popular with kids.

My friend runs Strangekiss.com which sells figurines where some have a similar look, though those are geared more for adults.

My criticism of them is that they don't have much of a Candian feel to them.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,299 Posts
Except for the Sasquatch, how do these represent Canada? What are the other two?

I went to look at some past Canadian Olympic Mascots in Wiki:

1976 Summer Olympics, Montréal 1988 Winter Olympics, Calgary
  • Howdy and Hidy, "The welcome bears", two polar bears representing Western Canadian hospitality. The bear siblings were the first dual mascots in the Olympic Games. The Calgary Zoo sponsored a contest to name the bears. Among the nearly 7,000 entries submitted, the names "Hidy" and "Howdy" were eventually chosen. Designed by Sheila Scott

Oooops, okay, Wiki says they are:

Miga - A mythical sea bear, part orca and part kermode bear.
Quatchi - A sasquatch.
Sumi - An animal guardian spirit with the wings of the Thunderbird and legs of a black bear.
so I guess some of that is making sense now...

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,299 Posts
I think the 1976 and 1988 Olympic Mascots were easier to see how they associate to Canada, and the names Howdy and Hidy fit in with the country/western culture of Calgary.

·
Honourable Citizen?
4,962 Posts
Good gawd, what are they?
They are 100 Million Dollars in revenue. Launched to an audience today of 800 school-children they are a massive marketing scheme aimed directly at your kids, using the child-psychologist-approved "nag factor". They are the vector for stuffed toys made in China, massive cross-promotion deals with the likes of MacDonalds, Coke/Pepsi and pals to sell some more junk food to your kids, animated cartoons and video games.

They are the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Committee taking Canadian and BC tax money and using it to generate huge profits for themselves by marketing directly to children. They couldn't have been any more blatant about it with their schoolkid launch, yet the media are fawning all over it to help out with the publicity.

My question is: Where the hell can I get one before Christmas to buy for the kiddies? Where do I line up? Where, dammit?! ;)

·
Banned
7,966 Posts
My question is: Where the hell can I get one before Christmas to buy for the kiddies? Where do I line up? Where, dammit?! ;)
How about a tatoo like that Quatchi creation sports? I'm sure kids will go for that!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.