ehMac banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of clearing out some of my old gear.

The largest item is my old PowerMac 8500, a wonderful= machine at the time, but now is just gathering dust and taking up a lot of room.

I thought I would check with everyone here to see if anyone had any interest in my prize.

Powermac 8500
Processor PowerPC G3
128 MB ram
SCSI
Ethernet
CRT monitor
Also an external hard drive, old Apple external CD drive
plus an external tape drive (no blank tapes - at the moment but I'll look around.

I haven't decided if I want to sell it (cheap) or perhaps exchange for some small Mac related item? Make a suggestion.

I think it would be best to do a direct pickup - shipping might be a problem.
I could meet somewhere local - Newmarket - Orangeville

Anyway, I'm in the process of trying the erase the hard drives, but if no-one is interested I'll just trash them (heavy mallet technique)

·
Premium Member
5,371 Posts
your local city has electronic recycling programs in place.. call not sure if it is 311 or 611 but they will come pick it up after you deal with the data part.
I have a high powered magnet for those purposes..
It is an old degauss devise for CRT TVs..

take off my watch and other electronic media is placed far and away and I power up the beast of doom.. usually a safe place like my cold room / cantina - solid poured concrete room.
:)
yes my lights flicker and I pretend I am Nickola Tesla

·
Premium Member
2,325 Posts
I'm not interested in the computer, but I have a Quadra 605 that could use the hard drive.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I may have caused my old 8500 to give up the ghost.

In an effort to access the hard drives I tried to reinstall OS9 ( the drive was not responding - I could see the drive on the desktop, but not the files on it)

The reinstall seemed to go well, but then over a short time the screen developed a pattern of dots then went to gray pinstripes and the whole machine made faint ticking noises.

Now if I try to reboot, I get the start-up chime but no other response.

So I think it's destined for the recycle centre - but I still need to eliminate my
personal data and some proprietary info - and without a degauss devise, may have to be more physical.

So, just in case anyone had an interest, the great ole 8500 is no longer available.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry bse5150,

If I cannot confidently remove my data/files i will have to take drastic measures which will leave the drive a pile of scrap metal.

I suspect the drives were failing anyway - it sat unused for quite a few years.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Last Chance

Unable to restore my prized 8500 to stability, therefore;

If any members here are at all interested in the 8500 (I think the drive is failing fast - I'm going to break it anyway), the Apple CRT monitor (with the adjustable base), SCSI cables & terminator, two Zip drives, BIG old Apple CD drive, a SCSI Tape drive - let me know soon, otherwise, I will be taking it all (minus the drives) to recycling in the coming week

I just don't have the space to keep all the stuff I've collected, 50% or more of which I never use or look at from year to year.

Enjoy the day, it's the only one like it we've got this week.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts