Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'll be! Anand Lai Shimpi of Anandtech.com fame is running a switcher blog after ordering a 2 gHz G5 dualie.

This web site has been a bastion of Wintel-centrism for years yet the blog is remarkably even handed.

Scroll to the bottom of the blog to start from the beginning. This is still evolving and promises to make for interesting reading as he knows his XP, is a poweruser and seems genuinely interested in giving X a go.

Interestingly, he had previously been running dual Cinema displays on his Dell before picking up the G5.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
I notice he is also an iPod fan. I think more and more people who are already computer enthusiasts and have an open mind will be switching over at home. It just makes sense.
A lot of the reasons for not switching their home computer to a Mac don't apply to people like that:
</font>
  • no budget for hardware/software purchases</font>
  • religious about Windows being the best
    </font>
  • not computer-savvy or don't use the computer enough to tell the difference</font>
  • resistant to changes in operating procedure</font>
  • religious about WordPerfect</font>
Still, some of the geeky reasons for not switching probably still do apply:
</font>
  • gotta have every latest game on the day it comes out</font>
  • gotta build your own computer from scratch</font>
  • gotta have totally open architecture, open source drivers for all hardware (not sure if this is a valid reason)</font>
  • suspicious of large corporations</font>
So, it's kind of a toss-up. My guess is, he'll want to stay with Mac but will have to make it just part of his collection.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Hopefully guys like this will be the first to review and benchmark the next major G5 revision. I am hoping they will blow away the competition.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Yes, you are reading it right. Is there something I said that makes you think I was not reading it right? :confused:

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The one interesting thing is that he presents the whole co-habitation thing of managing data across a Windows machine and a Mac as essentially a non-issue. I think this is a big psychological hurdle for many Wintel users os it is important for them to realize that this is a very managable situation.

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
In case you have not been following this, you may want to check the updates from Anand.
I do believe he is becomming quite smitten with his G5 and OS X.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts