Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Sawtooth G4 upgraded to 800 MHz with a SuperDrive and iDVD3. However, I have no means of getting analog video into the Mac so I can burn it to DVD.

So, how do I transform analog video on VHS tapes into digital video suitable for burning to DVD? I assume that I'll have to buy some kind of FireWire or USB box - what works without costing a fortune?

All advice gratefully received.

Cheers :-> Bill

·
Premium Member
31,035 Posts
The Canopus 100 analogue to DV bridge has been the most successful for us . $400 plus tho'.
We've had problems witht eh Hollywood Dazzle bridge.

·
Premium Member
5,246 Posts
You might want to consider borrowing, renting or actually buying a DV camcorder with analog inputs. Will do the job quite nicely.

I know for sure you can rent one in Vancouver.

Check out your options and decide if spending another $3~600 to support your analog camcorder/vcr is worth it when you can get a DV cam for a few bucks more.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I think gordguide has the right idea, you can then use the camera as a camera, DV deck and to get the analog video into the G4. You will probably need to print to tape when you finish your edit so recording to DV in my opinion is better then VHS.

John

·
Premium Member
31,035 Posts
That's okay in the short run but in the long run if you do it regularly it's heavy wear on the heads so I'm told. You also need to make sure it has an analogue input ( most do but not all ).

·
Registered
809 Posts
Yep, I just pumped about an hour of analog video into my Canon ZR60, then on into iBoobie -- ooops iMovie.
Now my wee 40GB HD is 87% full :confused:
This was the perfect solution for me because
1) its a one time operation (will not be using the analog camera anymore
2) wanted to buy a DV camera anyway

·
Premium Member
2,949 Posts
That's okay in the short run but in the long run if you do it regularly it's heavy wear on the heads so I'm told. You also need to make sure it has an analogue input ( most do but not all ).
If you are using a Camera as the A/V converter you will not use the heads at all as the camera just acts as a "Pass through" to the computer, generally you do not even need a tape in the camera to perform this function.

Now if you are capturing from the camera, yes you will add wear to your heads. This is where you want to get a DV Deck for capturing so you don't wear your camera heads out for recording.

·
Premium Member
31,035 Posts
Thanks MacDaddy that's correct. :cool:

·
Premium Member
3,753 Posts
Works a treat. You can connect via RCA or S-video (better). Obviously, only works in real time...

·
Premium Member
5,246 Posts
"... f you are using a Camera as the A/V converter you will not use the heads at all as the camera just acts as a "Pass through" to the computer, generally you do not even need a tape in the camera to perform this function. ..."

Less expensive or older cameras may require you to record the footage to DV tape first; better/newer units don't.

It's all about the money; if it has 2 AD/DA converters instead of one, you don't need to record to tape.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.