Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I used to go see a bud of mine who owns a shop, and he's simple dude. Not the most computer literate cat, but a brilliant artist.

I would go by his shop and always see his iSight covered w/ masking tape. And I would just giggle, and he would tell me that he didn't want to be seen in case he was hacked.

I kept giggling about it...

but who's LOL'ing now.

Dayum.

Has this ever happened? I'm sure all heard about the hacked baby monitor.

·
Premium Member
11,953 Posts
While I would never say its impossible, OS X is designed to ask you if someone or a site other than you wants to use your camera, plus there's a light that comes on to indicate that the camera is active, so I think the chance of your friend being right is pretty low. Let's just say no masking tape here.

·
Premium Member
3,336 Posts
While I would never say its impossible, OS X is designed to ask you if someone or a site other than you wants to use your camera, plus there's a light that comes on to indicate that the camera is active, so I think the chance of your friend being right is pretty low. Let's just say no masking tape here.
when Prey is activated the camera takes pictures without the light coming on

·
Registered
807 Posts
when Prey is activated the camera takes pictures without the light coming on
All the time, or just when you report the device as stolen?
A few years ago I was evaluating Security Camera software (may have been Security Spy or Witness or somehing like that). Whatever software it was you could leave your laptop on and have it running as a motion activated camera. There was a toggle to choose if the light was on or off on your internal iSight camera.

BReligion

·
Premium Member
15,710 Posts
That doesn't describe Prey.

A few years ago I was evaluating Security Camera software (may have been Security Spy or Witness or somehing like that). Whatever software it was you could leave your laptop on and have it running as a motion activated camera. There was a toggle to choose if the light was on or off on your internal iSight camera.

BReligion

·
Registered
807 Posts
That doesn't describe Prey.
Sorry i was just talking about the fact there was software in general that can have the camera running without any indication (or the ablility to turn the inidcator off).

BReligion

·
Premium Member
3,336 Posts
Sorry i was just talking about the fact there was software in general that can have the camera running without any indication (or the ablility to turn the inidcator off).

BReligion
my point too. regardless of whether its when prey is in "catch a predator" mode or not, the point exists that its obviously possible to have the isight be on without the light on...nothing more, nothing less..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts