Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.insidemacgames.com/news/story.php?ID=8050

The US Army has released the Mac version of America's Army, its popular first-person shooter. The massive 315 MB download is available on the America's Army web site as a premium download for $5.95. The file is also available for IMG Pro users via their private Hot Downloads page. If you are not an IMG Pro user, don't worry, we'll be putting a public download link on Macgamefiles.com as soon as our ftp mirrors grab the file. [Update: The game is now available at Macgamefiles.com]

http://www.macgamefiles.com/detail.php?item=17749

I got mine... where's yours? :D

[ July 20, 2003, 10:49 PM: Message edited by: mannyp ]

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Well now instead of being announced that its coming soon, its out... downloading now... Will get to try playing on Sunday (even my QuickSilver is going to be hurting with this game :( )

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Why botther downloading the game? Just join up, shoot Iraqi's and get paid for it*.

Personally, I find the whole notion of the US Army publishing a first person shooter game highly offensive (no pun intended).

* Some conditions apply. Some combatants may return in a body bag. Must be US citizen or have sub-70 IQ. No experience required.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
minnes - Not at all. This game is designed so you have a mission objective, and not one where like those games you tend to just kill everything however you want. This one you are taking out terrorists, and must work with people to do so. The game also happens to check if you are worthwhile for the army, and if so suggests you enlist. Kind of like the movie "The Last Starfighter". Its a much more sophisticated game, in that you must follow the rules of engagement, orders, etc. And its based on that beautiful UT2K3 engine.

jwoodget - This game has been in the works for years. They have spent a good 7 million dollars creating this game and from what I have heard, it is a really good game.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
So do you get extra points finding WMDs?

I actually don't have anything against shoot em ups but I do find it disturbing that the US Army is promoting itself through such tactics. Modern warfare has certainly become more technologically advanced and computerized, but the effects on people are exactly the same as 100 years ago except magnified.

I was at Ronnie Ray-gun airport last week. One of the tourist shops was selling T shirts emblazoned with "Support Our Troops" with a pair of dogtags thrown in for free.

I'm sure the game is fun and its nice to see the US military supporting Macs (unlike the department of "homeland security"). Don't you just know Al-Qaeda is Windows based.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
No extra points for WMDs, as you aren't hunting for WMDs or killing innocent Iraqis in this game. After playing it a while, I can have a better opinion as to whether the game is worth it or not.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
I heard Canada's Navy has been postponed a year....

Apparently there's a problem in "porting" the code. In addition, the submarines were all dinged (due to the Brits saving money on firing torpedoes by instead "head-butting" the target).

·
Registered
719 Posts
There is a world of difference between the US army game and a FPS like Quake or UT2K3.

Firstly, Quake and UT have "cartoon" violence. We all know that there are no such thing as a flak cannon or pulse rifle, or strange looking mutants or evil aliens.

But the US Army is not releasing a game just for the fun of it. There has to be a benefit to the cost incurred. Just what the benefit is, I don't know yet, but I would bet big money that the psy ops people have had a huge finger in this project.

Notice that no one plays the "bad guys"? You dont' get to shoot at the "good American soldier", you play the US side every time. The other guy appears to you as the evil foreign terrorist, and you appear as the good soldier. No matter what side you are really on. This nice little feature makes you play the "good" guy, giving you nice war fuzzies about wanting the US to win, each and every encounter.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Britnell said: "I would bet big money that the psy ops people have had a huge finger in this project."

Wonder where that finger is right now? Friendly fire doesn't exist in this version of universe.

What was the term the US pilot used when he dropped the bomb on the Canadian forces practising near Khandahar? Something like "splash" (but not splash).

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
utbj "What was the term the US pilot used when he dropped the bomb on the Canadian forces practising near Khandahar? Something like "splash" (but not splash). "

'Shack' was the term he used :-(

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Thanks Mac Fellow. The term is utterly de-humanizing which, of course, is the goal of military training (and video games), along with obedience. The consequences of dissociating cause from effect can be tragic.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Hey jwoodget... its something that is necessary to do it quite a few fields actually. Could you imagine a person who worked in a morgue if they got all upset and distraught over every corpse they had to prepare.

Police and fireman also learn to disassociate the tragedy. A fireman will refer to burnt victims as crispy critters. There has to be that level of disassociation.

So yes, they do this for soldiers too.

But I understand your problem with having the US Army release this game to joe public. I think we've already been desensitized and have been given the video game version of war enough over the last 6 months.

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
I think that this is VERY poorly-timed. This is the wrong moment to release something like this! :rolleyes:

Despite what many of you might think...I believe that George W. was the better choice out of the two that were available...

But...I agree with many of you when I say that he does make mistakes ! Both in policy, and in the people he delegates authority to. :eek: :confused:

(And he is not exactly a great public speaker. No question about that at all.)

But...having said all that...I just have to ask all of you this important question...

Would Al Gore have done any better, had HE been elected President? What would the world have looked like had Al gore been running the show right about now?

Would the Taliban have been removed from the Government of Afghanistan? Would Saddam Hussein be in hiding? Would Iraq still be under the boot-heel of this horrible despotic tyrant?

Would Usama Bin Laden be on the run? Would Syria still be a hotbed of terrorism...or would it be busy expelling those radical groups? As it is doing right now?

Would it be rapidly moving toward the peace process...or still funding and harbouring masses of terrorists. As it had done for DECADES?

And...would pretty much ALL of the middle east be trying a whole NEW path toward some sort of reconciliation right now...if Al Gore had won the Presidency?

I wonder......

·
Registered
719 Posts
Would 9/11 have occured?
You make it sound like it was a good idea to bomb Afghanistan, when the reality is that it was a group of Saudi nationals that committed the terrorism.
There is no link between 9/11 and Saddam, so why is the US in Iraq? Certainly not for WMD.
Would Gore have chosen a different path? Probably. Would it have been a "better" path? Who knows.

But I disagree with your characterization of Bush's policies as being good. In the long run, POTUS 43 has done more to destabalize that world, than any thing since the fall of the Wall.
Bush and the boyz are as loony tune fundamental as any terrorist mulim.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
EhMax, I understand the need for dissociation. The big difference is that the firemen and morgue workers don't create the corpses through their own action.

This is one Mac "game" that won't grace my drives.

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Geez. Whowouldathunkit that a little post about a game release would cause some debate. :D

I'd like to think the better reason why Bush & Co. is in Iraq because of things like this:

Another Mass Grave Found in Northern Iraq U.S. Military Finds Another Mass Grave in Iraq Believed to Contain Bodies of Kurdish Women

The Associated Press
BAGHDAD, Iraq July 17 —

In the latest in a series of grisly discoveries, the U.S. military said Thursday it found another mass grave this one in northern Iraq and thought to contain the bodies of up to 400 Kurdish women and children slain by Saddam Hussein's regime.

Now if people took this much interest in Grand Theft Auto... ;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts