Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Once again, the article was written by someone who can't write properly. Not even worth the read.

He did waste no time claiming that the G5 powered Macs were the first 64 bit desktop systems.
Nice work. Wtf?

No one pays $2,000 to $3,000 for a desktop computer.  They pay sub $1,000.
That's weird - no one? Obviously thousands of Mac users do.

AGP 8X Pro is the next big bragging right from Apple.  I believe the PC market beat them by several months to that milestone.  And then of course PCI Express is poised to take over on the graphics side on the PC.  Again Apple is a follower on the graphics side.
What the hell? This guy seems to think that it only counts if you release it first. Who cares who came out with it first - we have it now, that's what counts.

The funny thing is how Jobs claimed that Apple had worked with IBM for years to design the CPU.  Unlikely. 
Yeah, Steve was up there and said a big fat lie. This guy is funny to no extent.

Sorry, had to rant.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
The main hole I see in his argument is that he believes the publicly posted SPEC benchmarks for the Intel-based systems are more "correct" than Apple's (actually an independent testing firm's) benchmarks of the DELLs. He complains that Jobs didn't quote the specifications of those PCs. But here's my response - Jobs did quote the price of the DELL as $4000 and the MHz value which tells you they are recent machines. The prices of the PCs used for the benchmarks touted in this article are not shown. For all we know they could be $10,000 machines. And if we're talking about who has the fastest Personal Computer, price is an important factor obviously, in fact the writer complains himself about the G5s being too expensive. Jobs sure has balls claiming the fastest PC, now I'd like to see that reviewer ante up and configure a similarly priced DELL with Superdrive, optical audio etcetera, and do the SPECint and SPECfp himself. Come on buddy, I dare ya. Not that badly written though, and it did burst my RDF bubble a little bit.

·
Registered
57 Posts
He classified the G4/G5 as a workstation not a "desktop" hence yes, macusers pay that much for a computer but in his eyes those would be workstations (which was all he was trying to clarify). And I must agree that a dual 2GHZ 8 gig ram machine IS infact more of a workstation.

I think in general it is an article complaining about Apple's marketing. I mean, it's awesome that we now have this massive mac based computer, but why make claims to "fastest in the world" and "first 64bit.." etc.. I don't think it's necessary and it does infact bother me when such claims are made by any company.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
There are some significant things that make PowerMacs workstations yet there are significant things that make them personal computers.

They have UNIX power & UNIX reliability to an extent. They are marketed as professional tools. They can be expected to perform for many years.

Yet they have ease of use, iLife, 3D gaming, iPod and iSight.

Personally, I sometimes wanted a workstation as a PC. But a Mac is neither and both. It's the only way to go for some of us.

My brother takes my digital camera and plugs it into his XP self-built AMD box. He says, "look, it's plug and play just like your PowerBook". I say, "yeah, but you had to sit there clicking Next... five times in that Wizard, I just sat on the couch".

That's priceless, and I couldn't care less whose box is faster.

[ June 24, 2003, 12:22 PM: Message edited by: elmer ]

·
Registered
19 Posts
The SPECInt info and testing were performed by a third party but the study was paid for by Apple. The results are therefore as biased as PC adverts in Ontario. The subsystems should allow significant performance increases over current Macs but truly independent testing won't be possible until the machines are available. In any case, who is to say Dell etc. won't release new, faster machines over the next three months? It's a shame Panther won't ship on these machines.

Jobs didn't make too much of the fact these are 64 bit processors. I suppose it'll take a while to see full optimization (although current apps can be recompiled).

Apple Europe has dropped the PowerMac Pro line.... I guess the ones here will be close outs. Apple really needs to ramp up G5 production so as to satisfy the initial demand.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
I think in general it is an article complaining about Apple's marketing. I mean, it's awesome that we now have this massive mac based computer, but why make claims to "fastest in the world" and "first 64bit.." etc.. I don't think it's necessary and it does infact bother me when such claims are made by any company.
It's called MARKETING. It's about time Apple toots its horn. I get barraged by Intel proclaiming the Centrino is the be-all and end-all of wireless computing, and they make it sound like no other laptop does what the centrino does. :mad: Get real. Wireless computing was available a long time before the centrino. I think it's about time Apple spoke up. If you ask me they should send out their video on CDs to every IT shop around.

·
Registered
57 Posts
It's called MARKETING. It's about time Apple toots its horn. I get barraged by Intel proclaiming the Centrino is the be-all and end-all of wireless computing, and they make it sound like no other laptop does what the centrino does. Get real. Wireless computing was available a long time before the centrino. I think it's about time Apple spoke up. If you ask me they should send out their video on CDs to every IT shop around.
You express the same disdain for this type of advertising by Intel (for Centrino) but at the same time say it's ok for Apple to do so because it is MARKETING. As for Apple *finally* tooting it's own horn? "burns cd's, burns dvds, burns pcs", the powermac g4 is the world's first supercomputer, snails with intel chips on them.. I don't think "it's about time" is the right phrase.

Again, personally, this is not about intel vs. apple. If either makes a good product then awesome - I'll buy it - you don't even have to trash talk your competition to do so.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Steve bragged that this is the first CONSUMER 64bit computer which it is.....

He clarrified that there where other 64bit processors but that they were designed for server use, or high end work stations, remember even the lowest priced powermac now has the 64 bit processor making this indeed the first 64bit proc. aimed at consumers.

As for the 3yr collaberations with IBM I think that this is evident in the processor being introduced as an Apple product.. these design and manufacuring steps take literally years.

Parousia

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
Yeah, as I was posting that last post I was sorta looking at it. I was saying it's bad how Intel markets the Centrino and it's okay for Apple to say it's the first 64-bit computer. Maybe they could state it as Parousia stated - a 64-bit computer aimed at Consumers. Like Apple did with the Xserve, Apple needs to show the IT areas they seriously exist.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.