Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"On a recent trip to Florida with my newborn son Connor, my partner Chris and I quickly realized that we forgot one of the most important parental necessities - our baby monitor.
We were renting a great little cottage south of West Palm Beach, and now we were afraid to put the baby to sleep and head to another room.

Fortunately, after some geeking out, we realized that we could use our Apple laptops, along with Skype as live video monitors. It was a cinch to set up. I put my MacBook Air in the baby's room, with the iSight camera facing Connor, and we put the MacBook Pro in the kitchen. I called Chris on Skype, and voila! Our setup was even better than our baby monitor since we could see our son's every move (one important piece of advice if you do this, mute the laptop in your baby's room so you don't wake the little one!).

Yes, as I learned on our family vacation, turns out that the iSight camera is good for a lot more than just video chats. To find out how people are using their cams, I hit Twitter to do a little crowdsourcing in 140 characters or less. "

·
Registered
357 Posts
Wouldn't iChat video-conferencing through Bonjour done the same thing without Skype? Sounds like a Skype ad.

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
Wouldn't iChat video-conferencing through Bonjour done the same thing without Skype? Sounds like a Skype ad.
Having recently worked for Amber, i know her and her family mostly use Skype to communicate online. It's just handy and works well, I think.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Having recently worked for Amber, i know her and her family mostly use Skype to communicate online. It's just handy and works well, I think.
That, and if the article had used iChat, it apparently would of appeared like an ad for Apple. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Sorry, can someone explain to me why she was "afraid to put the baby asleep in the next room" ?
The humanity!!

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry, can someone explain to me why she was "afraid to put the baby asleep in the next room" ?
The humanity!!
:) I remember the days of our 1st newborn. The first few weeks, I think I was checking on the bambino every hour, especially at someplace other than home.

Come on, true Mac geeks use all the technology to the fullest. I'm not going for lunch this afternoon at Subway with my Macbook Pro and iPhone tethering because I need to, I'm doing it because I CAN! :);)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts