Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Again unfortunate that the 90% of users who do not log in will be unable to see this thread once it drops from the top listing.

So I have been noticing this for some time. I very occasionally buy something through Amazon.

I do however frequently search the site for price comparison or to file things away for possible future purchase. When I do so I am never logged in, and my browsers are set to toss their cookies whenever I close the browser. Still it is absolutely spooky the number of eMails I receive from Amazon promoting items I have searched and/or similar items. Only possible explanation is they key into my IP address when I do searches.

A couple of examples: I priced food scales online before buying one at the hardware store, today an eMail promoting scales. Currently looking for a small quiet fan, yesterday an email promoting the same.

Looks like I will have to see what I can do about cloaking my IP, at least when I search Amazon.

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
Again unfortunate that the 90% of users who do not log in will be unable to see this thread once it drops from the top listing.

So I have been noticing this for some time. I very occasionally buy something through Amazon.

I do however frequently search the site for price comparison or to file things away for possible future purchase. When I do so I am never logged in, and my browsers are set to toss their cookies whenever I close the browser. Still it is absolutely spooky the number of eMails I receive from Amazon promoting items I have searched and/or similar items. Only possible explanation is they key into my IP address when I do searches.

A couple of examples: I priced food scales online before buying one at the hardware store, today an eMail promoting scales. Currently looking for a small quiet fan, yesterday an email promoting the same.

Looks like I will have to see what I can do about cloaking my IP, at least when I search Amazon.
you must be logged into amazon for them to send you deals and follow ups.

·
Premium Member
17,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you must be logged into amazon for them to send you deals and follow ups.

Absolutely not so. The searches I cited were done when I was not logged in. The only time I log in is when I make an actual purchase. Immediately afterwards I quit the browser which is set to automatically dump all cookies.

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
Absolutely not so. The searches I cited were done when I was not logged in. The only time I log in is when I make an actual purchase. Immediately afterwards I quit the browser which is set to automatically dump all cookies.
maybe do your searches in private window.

·
Used to be Tilt
238 Posts
Whenever I need to perform such searches (airline tickets, hotel bookings, purchase research etc.), I login to the guest account on my mac and do this without logging into my account. I then log out of the guest account, login again into the guest account and do more research.

This however, will not help hide your IP though :(

Cheers

·
Premium Member
17,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Whenever I need to perform such searches (airline tickets, hotel bookings, purchase research etc.), I login to the guest account on my mac and do this without logging into my account. I then log out of the guest account, login again into the guest account and do more research.

This however, will not help hide your IP though :(

Cheers
AFAIK the only way to hide the IP is via a VPN. Probably I will just use the library computers for this task, and try a bit harder to find products locally. the latter is not a given, given living in a small town.

·
Premium Member
15,691 Posts
And it sounds like it's not working properly... Obviously.

... ... ...
AFAIK the only way to hide the IP is via a VPN. Probably I will just use the library computers for this task, and try a bit harder to find products locally. the latter is not a given, given living in a small town.
What's your big concern???
They are actually providing you with service and giving you an option to look at various products at various prices that should be close to your previous searches.

Personally I have found it and others like it a great service that often provides me with other sources and at various prices, often discounted.

If you really don't want your shopping or browsing habits known or tracked, I'd suggest doing a Google search on something like 'mac how to prevent being tracked when shopping online' and you'll get lots of hits for various suggestions there:
https://www.google.com/search?q=mac...57j69i64l3.30167j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

- Patrick
======

1 - 7 of 7 Posts