Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks, I wuv Apple, man
You have to look at the stuff they come up with and at the very least give 'em kudos for trying to rethink traditional and dated approaches.

Expose is absolutely awesome! The most impressive Post-OS X-dot-oh thing to come down the pipe sincwe Rendevous. Windows Alt-Tab and Apple's Comman-Tab/Tilde don't touch it! Check this out:

At the Apple Insider forums, the president of Ambrosia Software posted Quicktime videos of Expose in action that he recorded using their desktop recording software, called Snapz Pro.

This first one just goes to show you HOW QUICKLY AND SMOOTHLY you can switch between apps and windows using Expose. He's got TWELVE APPLICATIONS running -- including iTunes with a visualizer AND a DVD playing. This is smooth as silk. Note that all playback, loading (like a web page) and rendering is continuously displayed during the switching. Also, note that the film is NOT sped up. BUCKLE UP!

http://www.ambrosiasw.com/news/upcoming/images/spx2_panther_expose.mov

I would like to point out to any PC users lurking about that the guy is coding IN UNIX while watching a DVD on the same computer AT THE SAME TIME without dual booting. Hell, he could also have had MS Office running natively as well.

The next video is Expose in slo-mo. Watch how you can clear all windows aside to show the desktop, grab an item off the desktop or a folder, bring back the windows AND DROP the item into a document!

http://www.ambrosiasw.com/news/upcoming/images/spx2_panther_expose_slowmo.mov

This one further shows how Expose makes your using a computer more fluid than ever. Watch how he grabs text from one app and, WHILE HOLDING THAT TEXT, exposes all open windows and drags the text to a document in a different application. He then hides all the windows to grab a document from the desktop to add to another document: Not a single text or file command was used (i.e.: copy = paste or whatever).

http://www.ambrosiasw.com/news/upcoming/images/spx2_panther_expose_drag.mov

Now, the above videos were shot on a DUAL 2GHz G5 POWERMAC. Snapz Pro hits the processor VERY HARD when you're doing a full-screen video capture AND make it jump through Expose hoops with all those apps and media processes going! I'd be interested to see a top-of-the-line PC try the same thing ;)

F**kin' WOW!

Here is another video of Expose taken off a dual 450MHz G4. Remember that the, as the processors are ALSO having to record video of what it they're doing, it will in this case cause Expose to be a bit choppy. I can tell you that, without Snapz Pro, Expose runs smooth and beautiful -- even on my single G4/450/Radeon 9000:

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~bwsmith/videos/Expose.mov

Expose by default is invoked using the F9 to F11 keys. You can, however, assign Expose to mouse gestures and -- if you have a multi-button mouse -- mouse buttons! I think that Apple has FINALLY created a serious need for a multi-button mouse -- other than the need to placate Windows users, of course :rolleyes: I have a two button trackball that I have assigned the "chord" (both buttons down) to Expose's "Tile All" command. I also assigned my bottom-left corner as the "Show Desktop" command. Shoot the cursor down there, and ZIP; all the windows disappear! All-in-all, EXTREMELY efficient... and, I just might run out and buy a more POWERFUL mouse!

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
I can't quite see the point of this thread... is this a review, or..? Panther is out, we all have it, and we know Expose, how it works, and we've all seen it in action on our own desktops.

That being said, fill me in please? :confused:

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's the dragging from one app to another and using mouse clicks to invoke Expose that many people may not know about. Most people may just be using the functions keys -- which are not the best ones, ergonomically. Using a mouse would be more efficient, considering that you use a mouse in nthe end to select a window in Expose.

But, it is frankly the dragging from one xposed window to another that is truly a power user way to go...

And, "we all" may not be aware of these undocumented Expose tricks, and "we all" do NOT use Panther, yet. Some people may not think the $189.00 is worth it. This could provide more info for them to ponder. The original thread at the Appleinsider forums is only five days old, and you don't see anybody at THAT Apple hardcore user forum question the existance of the thread. So, if this thread shows you nothing new and bores you to the point of having to tell me so, I'm sorry it didn't make the grade. Other members, on the other hand, may find it informative, or at least see it as a "GO APPLE!" thing...

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Macaholic - It was also to show how much of an improvement Snapz Pro X 2.0 is over Snapz Pro X 1.0.9, 2.0 is still in beta, but has been redone to be much better.

Other then that, moki (Andrew Welch) was trying to show people Expose to everyone because it wasn't a feature you could take a screenshot of and comprehend how it worked.

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes. He showed how Expose worked in a way screenshots can't. Other than a demo of Snapzpro, it is cool to see Expose in action -- beyond what Apple's site shows.

[ November 10, 2003, 04:11 PM: Message edited by: Macaholic ]

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Notice that I parsed out the video showing Fast User Swiching, as it definitly shows the same thing Apple's site does.

·
Tritium Glow
7,141 Posts
FWIW, Macaholic, I appreciated your effort and your post. Thanks for the links.

·
Premium Member
30,933 Posts
Lars get a life - the guy does a terrific job showing off one of THE most important productivity pieces and all you can do is "kvetch" as our dear Dr. G would disclam. :rolleyes:

Thanks Macaholic - good stuff. I've been promoting Kensington and MS Explorer multibutton devices for a while as they can save immense amounts of time in a fast paced multi-tasking and multi/app environment.
I notice text dragging works even across OS9 in Classic to Panther where a copy past didn't work at all.
Nice to see a maestro work the controls on the demos.

One thing I would like is a controllable action radius as sometimes it triggers too easily. Likely I'll program my left hand keyboard buttons on the MS Office Keyboard for the various functions. I don't use my left hand enough and my neck muscles get unbalanced.
With 2 x 1600x1200 desktops to manage Exposé is a huge breakthrough.
Takes a bit of time to remember and workout the best tricks but it soon becomes "don't have to think about it" like the multiple mouse buttons do. I couldn't TELL you where my database button is but my mouse hand does it all on it's own.
Exposé for clearing the screen is that automatic now. It's such a natural motion - swing the mouse in a wiping motion and to the top corner and everything out of the way. :eek:

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. yeah, there were certainly some redundant points in my post, like pointing out which F keys launch Expose. I had posted at a more PC-centric forum and then copied most of it over here. That's why SOME of it was th basics. But, most of it was seeing Expose in use to its full potential.

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BTW, MacDoc, what's your "ehMac buddy" price for a Turbomouse Pro? ;)

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
Exposé is just one step closer to making your work flow...
Flow!!!.

The whole concept of having an intuitive work station
certainly appeals to me...Wire me in...I'm ready for the future.

Any tricks that can speed up the traffic flow would certainly
be welcomed, The cumbersome barbarousity that exists in
the present moment with the user to computer interface is
very dissatisfying...indeed.

Dave :cool:

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Lars, with all due respect, I and many others don't see the point of MANY of your posts here on ehMac. Along comes someone who takes a lot of time and effort to post VERY interesting information and a link to an amazing movie that I otherwise would of missed, and you try to derail it with a quick useless one-liner.

How about you think a little bit before you click that reply button. If you don't have anything of value to say, then please refrain from doing so. :rolleyes:

---

Thank you VERY much for the post Macaholic! The movies wicked.

---

On sort of a related topic, I've had several times now where I've assigned Expose hot keys to my Microsoft Intellimouse, and the buttons then become a little jumbled. Usually happens when I use fast user switching. I'll go from one user to another, and then back and all of a sudden when I try to enable one of the expose functions, the buttons become confused and my main button will no longer function. Anyone else have similar problems?

I've resorted to using F1 F2 and F3 to use Expose and F9 f10 and F11 aren't in a very handy spot for right handers.

Anyone try hitting F9 once, then repeatedly pressing Tab? You get a really cool effect! :cool:

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ehMax wrote:

I've resorted to using F1 F2 and F3 to use Expose and F9 f10 and F11 aren't in a very handy spot for right handers.
ABSOLUTELY! A much better way to go.

Anyone try hitting F9 once, then repeatedly pressing Tab? You get a really cool effect!
Yes! It becomes "Application Windows" on the fly. AND it does it oh so elegantly Go Apple!

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
Wow! Such enthusiasm! I haven't yet taken the Panther plunge but would like to do so soon, mainly because if the increased UI speed, but also because of Exposé. How does Exposé work on a non Quartx Extreme enabled video card (like my stock 16 meg rage)?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Exposé screen corner activation rocks my world...

Buttons, schmuttons... Corner activation is where it's at, baby!

Yeeeehhaaaaawwww!

Hey, what happened? All I see is my desktop! Oh wait...

There we go. Back again.

Damn i love this...

:cool:

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
How does Exposé work on a non Quartx Extreme enabled video card (like my stock 16 meg rage)?
It works fine. The windows just don't go away and move around as smooth as silk as if you had Quartz Extreme, but it's definitely not slow by any means.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I wanted to add my appreciation for this post too - I was a bit hesitant to go for Panther but finally got it Friday evening (a result of this site's encouraging posts), and I am pretty thrilled with it (if such thing be possible). I should add it's been a pretty faultless upgrade too, for anyone else that might have reservations.

I was a bit shy of trying Exposé but thanks to Macaholic I'm going to give it a shot. I'm pretty excited about it, actually. Cheers all!

·
Premium Member
30,933 Posts
Of course the "desktop" function is wonderful for very quickly hiding ....ummmm.....errrr........oh yeah the solitaire game
:cool:

I hope Exposé moves people to look at multiple button mice from Microsoft and Kensington. I use the MS Explorer and would be lost without it for app switching and opening key docs.

I tried a key combo for Exposé on the mouse too ehMax and found it too tricky to execute well. Might be the lag in the wireless connection too. I found on a G4 even the app switching will get confused on occasion but never so far on the G5.

The Microsoft keyboards have tons of programmable ( easily ) buttons all over in useful areas. I use this one and you can really set up a two hands work flow in many ways and of course with Exposé in the picture it gets even more productive.
Those left hand buttons and scroll wheel are a treat

Nice thing the Mac team at MS has set this up to work right out fo the box in 9 or 10 :eek:

One thing I like is you touch the key you want to program and it up pops the correct box. For instance I just did the big scroll wheel for iTunes volume and instead of hunting just opened the prefs touched the wheel and up popped my options. You can tell they are Mac heads at work in this.

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
(Hmmm... no reply to an ehMac discount. Oh well. Had to try ;) )

·
Premium Member
30,933 Posts
Check your email boyo :D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts