Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought a used ibook, a used aiport card and today got a linksys wireless router -

i plugged the router in upstairs - came downstairs to my ibook and turned it on and i was already ready to go online -
i did not have to open the instruction manual, didnt have to insert the CD that is windows only anyways -

i did NOTHING! and i was online.

i am, yet again, amazed at the ease of these apple computers!

thank you APPLE!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Funny you should mention this ...
I bought a Canon PowerShot camera last week, and upon opening the box, couldn't help but notice all the WARNINGS regarding having to install the software drivers for windows prior to connecting the USB cable into the computer. Because I am using an iMac, I threw caution to the wind and just connected the camera to my keyboard without installing the mac software and VIOLA! up popped iPhoto and i was away to the races.

OSX and Apple Rule!

·
Registered
162 Posts
P.S.

are you using the iBook as a secondary computer? what are you using it for and would you recommend it as a replacement for a WinClone desktop that is primarily used by the kids (internet and windows gaming) and by the significnt other - email, Word and browsing.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
i plugged the router in upstairs - came downstairs to my ibook and turned it on and i was already ready to go online - i did not have to open the instruction manual

I would suggest doing so afterward though, and enabling a couple of the security features on your network such as WEP encryption. At the very least it will keep people from leeching your bandwidth.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
jmac, the only thing that worried me in that list of uses waas gaming, what games or type of games do the kids play. Otherwise the ibook should fit the bill.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would suggest doing so afterward though, and enabling a couple of the security features on your network such as WEP encryption
i have since gone back to enable some of the security features and thank you for your suggestion.

after being amazed at how simple the network connection was, i had another amazing discovery minutes after my post from the couch last night -
i turned on music sharing on my emac upstairs (loaded with 4,000+ songs) and was listening to any song i wanted on my ibook on my back porch (watching the snow fall on toronto)

simply amazing - the transfer rate for the music was incredible - no skips, or data loss - it just flowed through like if i was listening to it on the emac itself.

i cant wait to get ilife04 delivered so i can do the same with iphoto too.

the ibook (which is a clamshell 466mhz) is running great with the network -

love it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts