Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess that like many of us I have bought the odd e-bay item, but am still not atuned to the e-bay sub-culture...

As I was browsing for some Adobe Premiere disks for the FCP/FCE deal, I stumbled onto ridiculously cheap items that did not seem to attract too many bids. A short investigation and exchange of e-mail later: "CDR copy"... Just out of curiosity, I looked around other software categories and, presto, more pirated software sold in broad daylight.

Am I missing something? Doesn't e-bay or the publishers have an interest in cleaning up the site? If you are a total cynic you can argue that it is good in the sense that it keeps the price of legit items reasonable, but...

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
In my opinion, with so many items (like, hundreds) being posted to eBay on a daily basis, I think it is hard for eBay to monitor every single auction to the fullest extent.

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, but you would think that the Gates police and that of other major publishers would make a big noise around removing illegal stuff. For once I would agree with them. A bit like police snooping on professional garage sales for stolen goods...

·
Hotwiring another cessna
389 Posts
eBay does try to police it to the best of there ability but as was noted earlier its hard to catch everything with hundreds of posting going up daily. eBay does offer a sub-community called "safe harbour" where such topics and users can be reported.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts