Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a Freeware program that will do somewhat what FileBuddy does? $50 US is an awful lot for such a program. I have some files that have turned generic that need to be reattached to AppleWorks, etc.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
csonni - Have you tried rebuilding the desktop (if you are using 9) or update_prebindings in X?

Also you can simply use ResEdit to change the Creator And Type to change it back.

·
Premium Member
5,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm using OSX most of the time now, and I thoought update_prebindings was done automatically in Jaguar. I guess I could use ResEdit in Classic.

·
Premium Member
5,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pras, I did try that avenue, but I get the same results- AppleWorks is grayed out and i get an error with Word. I did download FileBuddy and did the file change (Creator, etc) which worked flawlessly, but I can see spending $50 for that. Even $10 US for FileTyper is a lot.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Okay, I didn't try that; sorry. I always liked FileBuddy but my version only works in OS 9 and you're right, $50 is too much for a utility you'd only use occasionally.

Perhaps someone with knowledge of Unix can suggest a Terminal command which will change the suffix. Or, have you tried changing (or adding) it yourself manually to .cwk ?

·
Registered
134 Posts
csonni, have you tried selecting one of your problem files, then 'Get Info' and 'Open with:' where you can set the application you choose?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts