ehMac banner

2161 - 2180 of 2224 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,162
Seems like it's all private money, so no complaints from me until I hear otherwise.
This, for a starter:

So, you want an all-renewable power grid? Think twice

An electrical grid has a massive task: to balance a continuous and near perfect synchronicity between power supplies and load on the grid. Neither is static, particularly in a world moving to wind and solar. It used to be that demand was variable and supply was constant (or controllable), but when both variables can fluctuate wildly there can be chaos. And in the world of electricity, chaos means “you get none”.

Two examples bring the point home clearly. I’ve mentioned these before briefly in recent posts; here are the more robust stories.

The UK suffered a widespread power outage on August 9 of last year. Though the power outage was only 90 minutes long, chaos erupted for more than seven hours – trains ground to a halt with no lights, air conditioning, or bathroom facilities, and passengers were stranded on them for many hours past the power outage itself. Traffic lights went on holiday, causing massive traffic jams and much of the country was paralyzed for the better part of a day. Thousands of irate citizens demanded answers, and the grid regulator stepped in to apologize profusely and, in a fit of political correctness, made sure to point out that neither a cyberattack nor unreliable wind power was to blame. As is often the case with guilty parties, the subconscious dragging of wind power into the equation was an indicator that it was indeed a factor. But it is political suicide to say so, and the regulator danced around the topic in typically British understated fashion.
More:

Loosely translated, the UK electrical system has lost resiliency, or the ability to deal with sudden drop-outs in power supply such as from a lightning strike or industrial incident, because renewables can’t be counted on to fill the gap.
Further:

Next time you hear some energy missionary talk about how we can go to an all renewable power system “because it’s so cheap now”, send them links to the UK and Australian reports, and if possible shut their power off for the rest of the day. Sometimes people have to live it to learn it.
The more of this crap we introduce into our power grid (taxpayer funded, subsidized or not), the weaker it becomes.

·
Premium Member
23,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,164
But the wind is free! FREE, I tells ya!!!

We Don’t Need No Stinking Giant Fans

Manhattan Institute;

When electricity comes from wind or solar machines, every unit of energy produced, or mile traveled, requires far more materials and land than fossil fuels. That physical reality is literally visible: A wind or solar farm stretching to the horizon can be replaced by a handful of gas-fired turbines, each no bigger than a tractor-trailer.

Building one wind turbine requires 900 tons of steel, 2,500 tons of concrete and 45 tons of nonrecyclable plastic. Solar power requires even more cement, steel and glass—not to mention other metals. Global silver and indium mining will jump 250% and 1,200% respectively over the next couple of decades to provide the materials necessary to build the number of solar panels, the International Energy Agency forecasts. World demand for rare-earth elements—which aren’t rare but are rarely mined in America—will rise 300% to 1,000% by 2050 to meet the Paris green goals. If electric vehicles replace conventional cars, demand for cobalt and lithium, will rise more than 20-fold. That doesn’t count batteries to back up wind and solar grids.​
Bold mine.

FREEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!:love2::love2::love2:

And, don't worry about all those rare-earth minerals. There's tons of third-world kids just itchin' fer a job!!! :clap:

·
Premium Member
23,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,165
You’re crazy if you support hydrocarbons, and you’re crazier if you don’t – welcome to the world’s largest nest of Catch-22s

Opponents of hydrocarbons live with yet another personal Catch-22 daily; they, to a man/woman/child/LGBTQ+/- cannot live without them, yet they demand that we quit producing hydrocarbons. That is, in plain language, they demand that we quit providing the fuel that keeps them alive. They choose short-term annihilation of the population to prevent a theoretical annihilation if the worst-case scenario of climate change does occur. But wait, some roll their eyes and say they don’t demand an immediate transition, they know it will take time. But then those same people joyfully retweet how fast the “divest fossil fuel investments” movement is becoming, or celebrate life-threatening lawsuits against petroleum companies, and they celebrate when teenagers take to the streets to demand immediate action, and they watch silently without protest as the world is urged to “panic” by their new messiah. They support by silent default immediate action and panic, and cheer its success, while at the same time declare that a transition needs time.
Frankly, I think Alberta should turn off the out of province taps for one month. Say, in January.

Let's see if that would change Gang Green's tune...

·
Premium Member
23,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,166
From “more solar” to “stop with the solar” in 5 short years – how climate activism’s inner political demon is destroying environmental progress

Trojan-horse anarchists and political activists have hijacked the environmental movement, and are using it as a tool to achieve their goals of…whatever it is that folks that want to overthrow capitalism want. It’s hard to comprehend what they want; markets have been resoundingly proven to work best. Even the likes of Elizabeth Warren say so, and she’s a far cry from a poster child for capitalism.

Now, we have the problem where eco-anarchists have taken control of economic development agendas, including a relentless focus on solar/wind installations here there and everywhere, long before the power grid is ready for them. We know where this is heading; the formidable economists of the former Soviet Union showed us in spectacularly descending fashion what poorly designed government policy can do to an economic system. And that’s if we’re lucky. At least we’d have a government in control.

·
Premium Member
23,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,167
Curious that this never comes up in the pro-alternative energy narrative...

The Collapse of Intellectual Standards in Science

Each year approximately $25 billion dollars is wasted paying for so-called renewable energy, overwhelmingly wind and solar. This is the excess cost of the renewable energy versus what it would cost to generate the same amount of electricity in existing fossil fuel plants. Because many states have accelerating legal quotas for renewable energy, called renewable portfolio laws, the money wasted each year will approximately double in the next 10-years to $50 billion each year. If the states fail to come to their senses and continue to pursue these laws, another doubling by 2040 to $100 billion per year is likely. In the state of Nevada, for example, the increasing cost of electricity will likely be equivalent to a 4% state income tax by 2030.

The renewable energy industry has powerful sources of support for its program to make money by fooling the public. There are many effective lies, repeated over and over. Long term contracts for wind or solar electricity at $25 or $30 per megawatt hour are touted as proving that renewable electricity is replacing “more expensive” fossil fuel electricity. A close examination of the cost of renewable electricity, either wind or solar, shows that the real cost of this electricity is not $25 per megawatt hour, but around $80 per megawatt hour. The difference is the federal and state subsidies. A good chunk of those federal subsidies are set to go away by 2022.
Bold mine.

But, but, but...PARITY!!!

·
Premium Member
23,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,168
I don't agree with the opening statement. That said...

Andrew Cuomo’s bid to ram industrial wind, solar plants down locals’ throats

The governor’s proposal will prohibit any town from requiring developers to obtain any approvals or meet any locally imposed conditions for development, operation and eventual decommissioning. Conceivably, with the blessing of the state, a wind developer could build a 650-foot tall wind turbine next to an elementary school and, at the end of that turbine’s life, simply walk away and force the locals to clean up the mess.

·
Premium Member
17,731 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,170
From, of all people...

New Michael Moore-Backed Documentary On YouTube Reveals Massive Ecological Impacts Of Renewables

Over the last 10 years, everyone from celebrity influencers including Elon Musk, Arnold Schwarzenegger, and Al Gore, to major technology brands including Apple, have repeatedly claimed that renewables like solar panels and wind farms are less polluting than fossil fuels.

But a new documentary, “Planet of the Humans,” being released free to the public on YouTube today, the 50th Anniversary of Earth Day, reveals that industrial wind farms, solar farms, biomass, and biofuels are wrecking natural environments.

“Planet of the Humans was produced by Oscar-winning filmmaker Michael Moore. “I assumed solar panels would last forever,” Moore told Reuters. “I didn’t know what went into the making of them.”
Bold mine.

Well, at least he's honest about his ignorance. Perhaps there's hope for The Bigot...

Related:

Michael Moore Admits He Had No Idea Where the Juice to Power Electric Cars Came From

Michael Moore is out with a new film the media will hype but most Americans will never see. This speaks well of the latter and poorly of the former.

In a Reuters story promoting Moore's latest, he admits:

Moore said that he, like many people, thought electric cars were a good idea, “but I didn’t really think about where is the electricity coming from?”​

That's awesome. Moore has been going around for decades promoting politicians and policies that would basically wreck the economy. He wanted a coronavirus-level economic tsunami before we'd ever heard of Wuhan and its bats.

But he had no idea what he was talking about.

·
Premium Member
23,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,171
Related to my post above.

Curious, that. He's their hero until he produces a documentary that's finally got empirical evidence in it & blows their narrative clean out of the water.

Left-Wing Activists Are Trying to Cancel Michael Moore

Left-wing activists have turned on documentary filmmaker Michael Moore, furious that the anti-renewables documentary Planet of the Humans which he executive produced has betrayed their cause and giving an easy win to their enemy President Donald Trump.

One of the film’s distributors — Films For Action — has withdrawn its support and demanded a retraction and apology from Moore, in response to an open letter from the left-wing documentary maker Josh Fox.
Bold mine.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

·
Premium Member
23,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,172
So they haven't even been paying rent on the land they're operating on? In effect, yet one more subsidy?

Trump administration slaps solar, wind operators with massive retroactive rent bills

The Trump administration has ended a two-year rent holiday for solar and wind projects operating on federal lands, handing them whopping retroactive bills at a time the industry is struggling with the fallout of the coronavirus outbreak, according to company officials.

The move represents a multi-million-dollar hit to an industry that has already seen installation projects cancelled or delayed by the global health crisis, which has cut investment and dimmed the demand outlook for power.

·
Premium Member
17,947 Posts
Related to my post above.

Curious, that. He's their hero until he produces a documentary that's finally got empirical evidence in it & blows their narrative clean out of the water.
Moore is being roasted precisely because the 'empirical evidence' in this documentary is at least a decade out of date. The filmmakers - not Moore - had a film with a similar title already in the can several years ago, and with Moore's backing shot more material to fill out a feature-length film.

If you think this film is an accurate accounting of contemporary renewable energy technologies, well... your ideological blinders are operating as usual....

·
Premium Member
23,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,174
Hello, Bigot.

Quoth the guy with..wait for it...ideological blinders on!!!

Haven't watched the film. I'm just celebrating the Prog's response to it. It's gotta be good considering their (your) reaction. :clap::clap::clap:

BTW, nothing has changed re: alternative energy in the last decade. It's still over-priced, over-subsidized, still not available when you need it (and consequently requires expensive storage systems to run 24/7/365), still requires rare earth minerals mined by children and is still nowhere near green. I could go on but I'll keep the list relatively short.

If you think this film is an accurate accounting of contemporary renewable energy technologies, well... your ideological blinders are operating as usual....

·
Premium Member
42,336 Posts
Hello, Bigot.

Quoth the guy with..wait for it...ideological blinders on!!!

Haven't watched the film. I'm just celebrating the Prog's response to it. It's gotta be good considering their (your) reaction. :clap::clap::clap:

BTW, nothing has changed re: alternative energy in the last decade. It's still over-priced, over-subsidized, still not available when you need it (and consequently requires expensive storage systems to run 24/7/365), still requires rare earth minerals mined by children and is still nowhere near green. I could go on but I'll keep the list relatively short.
Good old CM was a big, big fan until Moore disagreed with the tenets of his Gaia worship:

I managed to wade through the crowds and see "Fahrenheit 9/11" tonight... the show is sold out days in advance, so a friend was kind enough to pick up a ticket for me on the weekend.

It's very good. Not as hard-hitting or in-your-face as "Columbine." A little more subtle (for Moore, that is) and it definitely does leave the audience in a very foul mood.

There were tears, cheers and jeers throughout.

No surprises for me, however, since I'm pretty much plugged into the issues Moore covers. Still, very effective to see it on the big screen, and it will be a huge shock to those Americans who decide to see it, particularly if they're not terribly political.

Interestingly, sitting beside me were a senior couple who spent most of the movie cursing Bush whenever he appeared on screen. Should've asked 'em if they were Yanks on vacation, or just enlightened Canucks! :D

One nice aspect of the film - an excellent choice of music for the various bits. Hilarious, in fact.

It is a must-see film, regardless of your placement on the political spectrum.

M.

·
Premium Member
23,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,176
Good old CM was a big, big fan until Moore disagreed with the tenets of his Gaia worship:
Curious, that.

I also find his fallback position hilarious: "Wull, the data is 10 years old! It's much better nooooow..."

·
Premium Member
42,336 Posts
Curious, that.

I also find his fallback position hilarious: "Wull, the data is 10 years old! It's much better nooooow..."
CM was lovin' it 10 years ago when the data was as bad as he now admits. He moves his goal posts so often, they're mounted on the back of a pickup truck.

·
Premium Member
23,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,178
Gemini Solar: A Billion-Dollar Vegas Boondoggle

On May 11, the Interior Department approved Gemini Solar, the largest solar power project in U.S. history. It is to be built by Arevia Power, a California-based energy group, with backing from Warren Buffet’s Berkshire Hathaway Inc. and Nevada’s energy utility NV Energy, a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway, which will be the customer for the project’s electricity. Gemini Solar will sit on 7,100 acres of public land, the size of 5,369 football fields, in the Mohave Desert, about 30 miles northeast of Las Vegas.
More:

Studies in Europe show that the cost of renewable energy such as solar raises electricity costs for consumer so much that, for every job created in the renewables industry, two to three are lost in the rest of the economy. So much for DOI’s Casey Hammond’s statement that, “This action is about getting Americans back to work, strengthening communities and promoting investment in American energy.”
Further:

The government tells us that a massive 380-megawatt lithium ion battery backup will be included to replace the power the solar plant is not able to generate at night. These batteries supposedly generate no greenhouse gases. Yet, even the left-leaning Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) pointed out that “Mining and processing the minerals, plus the battery manufacturing process, involve substantial emissions of carbon.”
Bold mine.

When you've lost MotherCorpse...

·
Premium Member
23,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,180
Put unemployed progs on stationary bicycles with generators and have them pedal until they can power their own homes. Will create a lot of green jobs.
Yep. Figger if they pedal all day, they'll have enough electricity so they won't have to take a crap in the dark.

2161 - 2180 of 2224 Posts