Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I finally managed to eliminate the Classic environment from my daily routine. Granted, I don't have nearly as many tasks to do on my Mac as some of you, but it sure feels good not to have to boot up Classic in the background. It was just Quicken 2000 that was holding me back big time. After all the negative comments I've read on Quicken 2004, I decided to still bite the bullet and go for the $60 download. After one day, I can say that I am pleased with the software. i don't plan on using the online banking options, so I probably won't experience most of the crashes, etc. that others have. Photoshop 6 is the only crux for me now. I may do the photo-editing downstairs on my G4, and leave my Pismo pure OS X. I wonder, how many others of you have left OS 9 in the dust?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Why don't you upgrade to Photoshop 7 or CS?
Then you can leave your classic environment in the dust for good. I eliminated Classic after Quark 6 came out.

·
Premium Member
5,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know about the upgrade cost right now. Also, I heard that PS7 or CS is slow on the G3- is that right?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I so rarely get into Classic mode, that I can safely say I have left 9 in the dust. Although there are still a few things I occasionally use that require classic, they are minor things.

I still have classic on my G4, but really only so I can use it if the instance requires it. In truth, it's been close to a year since I last used it on purpose.

Photshop 7 runs fine on my G4, but my Lombard is a bit sluggish. However, PS is a RAM hog, so it could be the 394 I have in the laptop is just not enough.

·
Registered
68 Posts
csonni:

For really comfortable performace with such applications, you really need a G4 or higher with a lot of Ram (min 512).

Anything less than what I just mentioned, may run yes, but will drive you nuts with the speed.

·
Registered
154 Posts
At the school I work at, we have completly moved to OS X with all our applications. Nothing better than getting rid of Classic, no more hassle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts