Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does deleting files from All My Files really remove them from iCloud also? Why would it pull files from iCloud when all I'm trying to do is make more storage space on my MBP?

·
Super Moderator
132 Posts
As I understand it, the iCloud 'backup' is generally designed to be able to restore files in case of a device failure. I too have noticed when I clear our old photos from my iPhone, they get removed from the iCloud storage.
If you need to keep all files, you need to use a dedicated backup solution.

·
Premium Member
16,117 Posts
Why would it pull files from iCloud when all I'm trying to do is make more storage space on my MBP?
Lots of replies and answers to your question you can find here:

I don't use either, but aren't there two different iClouds, each with their own particular reasons and uses for existence.

Maybe best to check out some of these hits from this search or create your own:

Especially this one:
iCloud User Guide

And this one as well What is iCloud Drive and how is it different from iCloud? that may help sort out some of the confusion:

It can get quite confusing as to what part of iCloud does what... And not lose what you thought you were Storing for safekeeping... 😇

- Patrick
=======

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As I understand it, the iCloud 'backup' is generally designed to be able to restore files in case of a device failure. I too have noticed when I clear our old photos from my iPhone, they get removed from the iCloud storage.
If you need to keep all files, you need to use a dedicated backup solution.
A dedicated backup solution such as Google Drive and saving Drive on an external hard drive would be foolproof, correct?

·
Premium Member
16,117 Posts
A dedicated backup solution such as Google Drive and saving Drive on an external hard drive would be foolproof, correct?
That would be about the first phase toward a foolproof backup assuming you would be using both at least.

- Patrick
=======

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is going to be silly to ask but I am PARANOID of losing files/photos from what I've stored on Google Drive....here is my final question:

If I delete all files in All My Files and have them in Google Drive, this will not delete anything from Drive and all files there will remain intact. Correct??

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is going to be silly to ask but I am PARANOID of losing files/photos from what I've stored on Google Drive....here is my final question:

If I delete all files in All My Files and have them in Google Drive, this will not delete anything from Drive and all files there will remain intact. Correct??
Fortunately I haven't come across a situation when I had problems with losing files due to excessive storage. Though I had some experience of losing a huge 70-page working documents from my computer which for me was much worse. But your question made me a bit worried too, so I checked online space and found something https://backlightblog.com/iphone-storage-full that might explain how to clear this storage. So I plan to fiddle with it soon and hopefully will get rid of the junk.

·
Premium Member
16,117 Posts
So I plan to fiddle with it soon and hopefully will get rid of the junk.
Welcome to ehMacs.ca forums, but don't do any fiddling unless you have a current working back up.

You have checked that it is working and completem, current and intact right...??? 😇

- Patrick
=======

1 - 9 of 9 Posts