Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in hearing experiences anyone has had with all in one printer/copier/scanner units.
I'm considering buying one for home, an HP perhaps?
Thanks.

·
Registered
691 Posts
As far as HP,I dont know.
As far as Brother,what do you want to know.I know everything there is to know about their MFC line up and all the problems/features they have.

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
i installed one for a client for a home office.

HP has a good history

combo - LASER printer, scanner, photocopier, fax, fax from computer.

HP 3330MFP - one note. the CD that ships with the unit is probably incorrect. HP will ship you the correct CD if you pick up the shipping charge

nice unit. but they are NOT cheap

·
Tritium Glow
7,141 Posts
I bought an Epson CX5200 for $250 at Costco. It's an inkjet unit that prints, copies and scans. There is no fax and that's ok by me as all I ever get is fax spam and I don't like leaving an inkjet machine ON all the time as that can dry out the ink cartridges. The paper feed is rather noisy, but overall it's a good unit and works well with OS X. However, there are some inconsequential limitations with the OS X driver, but nothing major. It also uses individual ink cartridges, in this model its the 4 CMYK colors, so you don't have to buy a whole colour cartridge if all you need is yellow.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I've used the HP PSC 950 inkjet all-in-one and its replacement (PSC 2210). I highly recommend them both, though the older unit is obviously cheaper if you can still find one.

If you don't need fax, Lexmark has good deals on mutli-function printer/scanner/copiers like the X75 and X85. Lexmark makes cheaper products than HP (in both senses of the word) but I found they were adequate for my day-to-day use. (Print speeds were also much slower than the HP units for high quality images like photos.)

I love Epson's printers BUT the company focuses on best results with Epson inks on Epson papers. Both HP and Lexmark do better on plain paper (e.g. cheap 20lb copier paper).

HP's software for OS X bugs me -- it works well, but is un-Maclike in ways I can't really explain. Lexmark's software was better.

I stongly recommend you get a mutli-function machine with a flatbed scanner top (rather than a sheet feeder, which can only handle paper). It's very handy to be able to copy, scan or fax anything, including a book or magazine you lay on the glass.

My current all-in-one is an old HP 725 Office machine, which is sheet fed and streaks a bit when printing. I need to get a new review unit asap... ;)

SMc

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
I own an HP All-in-one printer...can't recall the model number, but I just bought it from Staples. I've been using a laser printer mainly, but learned that the toner is quite toxic for kids. Also, the smell the printer puts out after a big spooling job is horrible and gives me headaches. So, I did some research and decided on the all-in-one series of printers. Why?

- elimination of some desk space clutter
- functionality
- features
- Classic and OSX compatibility
- USB
- HP

I LOVE this printer. I also own a Canon S750 and my HP beats it hands down in terms of ink usage, speed and reliability.

I have not replaced ANY ink cartridge since owning this printer (February 2003) and have done several colour printings. The feature I like the best is the "photocopying" option. There have been several times where I needed a quick copy of a document or two for mailings.

Great machine for small businesses and personal use.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have a Brother MFC 7300C.

Pro: As a fax machine, it's not bad.

Cons: Many. OSX software and drivers are non-existent. Scanning tends to chew up the source material (!!). Printing is supposed to be 7 billion-gillion dpi, but it looks like any other low-end inkjet printer. It eats through print cartridges like nuts. It tends to shove source material off the catch tray (actually a chromed bar) and onto the floor.

So my recommendation - stay away from this one...

-SJ.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the info everyone! I am intrigued by the Epson 5200 and the separate ink tank system.

iLabmAn I would be intersted to know what HP model
you purchased if it's not too much trouble.

Previous experience with printers has left me favurable to the HP over the Epson.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts