Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just checked in with Aliant, and Mac OS X is NOT supported. What gives? Would it work under Classic Mode, or?

[ July 22, 2003, 10:32 AM: Message edited by: Lars ]

·
Canadian By Choice
117,499 Posts
Lars, living in St.John's, Newtel is our Aliant company, and I was told that Macs WERE supported. Of course, I did not ask about OS X. I find this hard to believe, in that there are dozens of Macs on the Memorial University campus and Aliant has the contract to provide our broadband service.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Don't worry, Lars. While Aliant doesn't support OS X, it still works just fine with the service. Not supported just means they are afraid of X and don't want to deal with it. The usual.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Aliant is one of the most screwed up companies in Canada, I actually had the misfortune of working for them for a while.

If you use a router it will work with Mac OS X.

Ironically, there is a little OS X being used inside some parts of Aliant

·
Canadian By Choice
117,499 Posts
Trevor 10.2, I have a Linksys Wireless Router which works well with all of my other computers. I am hoping that it will work well connected by either a short cable or via wi-fi.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
While I am sure the high speed internet works jim dandy with Mac OS X (it is some form of DSL right? the site doesn't seem to mention it directly anywhere I skimmed), the "not supported" might be for things like the "TV on my PC" service that is "Exclusive to High Speed Customers".

Just a thought.

--PB

·
Canadian By Choice
117,499 Posts
PosterBoy, the folks here at Newtel/Aliant would rather not bother with Macs. We are told that Macs are supported "somewhat", but that getting online with an OS X DSL connection is a task we need to do on our own. If they only knew that all were here in Atlantic Canada have to do is shine the Apple logo onto the clouds over ehMacLand, and one of the MacMaven Superhero Experts will come to our rescue.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Why would you need their support? X has build in PPPoE, hook up and rock and roll!

I was so happy to ditch Swinepatico's Access Manager.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So you're all saying I don't need "official" Mac OS X support? Sounds good. ;)

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
If Aliant works for MacOS 9, it'll work for MacOS X. Even Rogers Cable at one time did not support MacOS X officially, so I was using MacOS X with Rogers before they officially supported it. Of course, Rogers now supports MacOS X. It just means, that if you call them about a problem and you want them to debug it, you may have to boot into MacOS 9 to actually get their help debugging it (they may not help you debug the problem in MacOS X).

Who knows, maybe they add official MacOS X support soon... They sound a bit worse than Rogers, though... so who knows.

It sounds like you can always come here for support, it sounds like a few users here have Aliant as their provider or know a bit about Aliant.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The thing I like about Aliant is two things:

a) Cheaper

b) Dedicated Line - so when your entire neighbourhood is online all at once, you're not slowed down.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Aliant is actually some what mac friendly, atleast internally.

But the company in itself is a complete disaster, for example the business unit I worked for in the summer of 2000 was buying some iMacs.

Okay... no problem, I was just going to wander over a few blocks to my mac dealer of choice with the company creditcard and buy some iMac DV+'s. They even set them aside for me.

Simple right?

Well no, not at Aliant. Another Aliant business unit was at that time a reseller, so we had to buy them from that unit at some insane markup, and they were then shipped to me by courier, one of them got lost and turned up like a week and a half later.

So it cost more and took longer. Aliant has a ton of stupid polices like that.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,499 Posts
Lars, I agree about their dedicated broadband line. My only concern is that I have a Linksys Wireless Router, and it is able to send a signal from the front of my house on the second floor, all the way to the furthest corner of my property in the back garden. I am amazed at the range, and even the Aliant person who installed the modem was amazed. Of course, anyone "warchalking" my street will have free internet access.................. until I set the pack of four doxies upon this unsuspecting person.

·
Premium Member
5,688 Posts
We have left our Cable Broadband and have just picked up our Aliant package with wireless modem/router. So, just hooking up will do the trick? Why in the world is a cd needed for Windows?

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
b) Dedicated Line - so when your entire neighbourhood is online all at once, you're not slowed down.
This "dedicated line" advantage is BS. When your entire neighbourhood is online, chances are all neighbourhoods in your time zone are online, which means Aliant's servers and gateways to the rest of the world are just as busy and bogged down as the cable company's servers and gateways. The bottleneck is at your ISPs connection to the Internet, not your neighbourhood.

When do you think your neighbourhood will be all online and no other neighbourhood will be?

·
Premium Member
5,688 Posts
Picked up our Aliant package yesterday. The manual even includes how to set up for OSX. It also supports it as requirements on the outside of the box. Unfortunately, the ac adapter doesn't power up the wireless Siemens modem/router. I tried my own adapter and it powered up no problem. I also tried an ac adapter for the Comtrend 601 (?) which is labled as the same adapter as the wireless one. It, too, wouldn't power up the wireless unit. Aliant is sending another ac adapter, but I'm concerned that they're sending out the wrong ones. Mine works for sure. Not sure why theirs won't power up the Siemens. Strange thing- the Comtrend adapter won't power up the Siemens, yet they're labelled as the very same adapter. I'll have to wait to see what the new one coming will do. Strange.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts