Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was younger the question of the day was “which would you take, Tina or Maryann”. Today it seems to be Alexa, Google or Siri.

I’m looking for a home assistant for information and music not to run my household, so which would you choose?

·
Premium Member
42,496 Posts
Given all of their intention to spy on users and sell your information to others, I would choose none of them.

But Mary Ann is my choice over Ginger.

·
Premium Member
15,694 Posts

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
I would never allow somethig like this to have any control over any part of my system. When one gets too damn lazy to select their own music or get up and trun on a light, it's time to think really hard as in, "What the hell am I doing? - What's the matter with me?" ;)

And MaryAnn was always my pick. :D

·
Premium Member
17,783 Posts
I would never allow somethig like this to have any control over any part of my system. When one gets too damn lazy to select their own music or get up and trun on a light, it's time to think really hard as in, "What the hell am I doing? - What's the matter with me?" ;)

And MaryAnn was always my pick. :D
Yep that's me as well.

FWIW I preferred Bailey to Jennifer on WKRP.

·
Premium Member
10,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’d take Bailey as well.

I’ve read a lot of articles on the three but I was looking for some actual users. While I would agree on the intrusion they can have, I have someone in my family who is visually impaired and I thought one of these might be of assistance. Any users out there.

·
Premium Member
15,694 Posts
I have someone in my family who is visually impaired and I thought one of these might be of assistance. Any users out there.

My very non-techy cousin bought the small Amazon Alexa on sale and just loves it. Actually, I think it was the Google Home Mini Smart Speaker she purchased, but calls it Alexa.

She mainly uses it to play music or change what's playing and maybe check the weather and similar stuff and ask some questions that pops into her head. Not much chance of any personal "intrusions" other than maybe her choice of music I'd think!!!

- Patrick
======

·
Registered
674 Posts
Whole bunch of old folgies here.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvT_gqs5ETk"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvT_gqs5ETk[/ame]

·
Canadian By Choice
117,392 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts

·
Canadian By Choice
117,392 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,694 Posts
Well sorry Rps, it seems as though one can't even ask a normal computer type related question in these forums these days without it getting completely sidetracked.

Gheese… :-(

·
Premium Member
42,496 Posts
When I was younger the question of the day was “which would you take, Tina or Maryann”. Today it seems to be Alexa, Google or Siri.

I’m looking for a home assistant for information and music not to run my household, so which would you choose?
Do you intend to subscribe to a music service or just play music in your iTunes library?

·
Registered
674 Posts
Well sorry Rps, it seems as though one can't even ask a normal computer type related question in these forums these days without it getting completely sidetracked.

Gheese… :-(
Well he did ask in the everything else section so stands to reason you get ... everything else.

But here's my serious answer. We have Google Home minis on the different floors. Love them. Have a chrome cast so we can yell at the the TV through them. They work great with spotify. Don't have android phones, so we use the Google Home app on our iphones. No issue.

Got them last Black Friday when they were $29US I think? at Walmart in the US.

·
Premium Member
42,496 Posts
Well he did ask in the everything else section so stands to reason you get ... everything else.

But here's my serious answer. We have Google Home minis on the different floors. Love them. Have a chrome cast so we can yell at the the TV through them. They work great with spotify. Don't have android phones, so we use the Google Home app on our iphones. No issue.

Got them last Black Friday when they were $29US I think? at Walmart in the US.
Yep, this is why I'm asking what sort of devices and music collections rps wants to activate.

·
Super Moderator
1,749 Posts

I trust neither Google nor Amazon with the data they get using their voice assistance. They have a vested interest in using that data for all kinds of things you probably never intended.

I'd go with Siri. With the other two, you're the product.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts