Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
“Between 2000 and 2005, CISA said homicides increased by 70%, attempted murder by 47%, aggravated assault by 41%, motor vehicle theft by 31% and assault with a weapon by 30%.”

Emphasis mine.

I have been predicting this for some time now and it will spread right across the country if we let it. Keep in mind it does not include last year or this year and by what I have observed in that time, I believe it has worsened:

http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Alberta/2007/07/23/4361054-sun.html

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
My dad had a whole bunch of stuff in a barn on a farm he bought in Oct 2005. I lived there until we moved back to Ontario. It has been broken into 2 times and they gutted the place of his tractors and a whole whack of stuff when he was on holidays....the Police couldn't care less he said when he phoned them. This is just west of Red Deer..

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
....and this says what about the justice policies of conservative governments?
Well CM, since these are all stats on criminal code offenses, or federal crimes, it says zero about Conservative governments. The stats were all gathered on the federal Liberal government's watch.

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
Well CM, since these are all stats on criminal code offenses, or federal crimes, it says zero about Conservative governments. The stats were all gathered on the federal Liberal government's watch.
let's not forget how ralph (is it my round klein) let the oil barons rape the social programs in AB
and you see how the lack of a provincial sales tax helps society eh?

interesting how Finald can have a reserve fund of hundreds of million and AB's heritage fund is in the tens of millions

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
let's not forget how ralph (is it my round klein) let the oil barons rape the social programs in AB
and you see how the lack of a provincial sales tax helps society eh?

interesting how Finald can have a reserve fund of hundreds of million and AB's heritage fund is in the tens of millions
Sorry Michael, but that won't cut it.

Finald? What the heck is Finald?

These stats have zero to do with the province in terms of legislation. And no oil baron raped anyone here in recent memory. Same old tired fiddle playing on your part.

Again.

Ralph's gone. Get used to it.

And for the record, our heritage fund is in the "Billions". Sheesh, you couldn't even get that right. :confused:

"The Alberta Heritage Savings Trust Fund reached the highest reported fair value in its 31-year history, standing at $16.6 billion at March 31, 2007. Over the 2006-07 fiscal year, the Fund grew by $1.8 billion, due largely to contributions from the 2006-07 surplus and inflation-proofing."

http://www.finance.gov.ab.ca/business/ahstf/

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
It sure is and it will go the opposite way it has been going.

Watch it happen.

If a 70% increase in attempted murders in Alberta alone does not disturb you, nothing will.
So, what, you presume that I show a direct correlation between crime and population increase you that assume I'm not disturbed by murder? That's a bit of a stretch.

Alberta has shown a 10.6 % increase in population (twice the national average) over the last five or six years. That's a lot of people to accommodate in a relatively short time and I'm sure public services are stretched pretty thin.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, what, you presume that I show a direct correlation between crime and population increase you that assume I'm not disturbed by murder? That's a bit of a stretch.

Alberta has shown a 10.6 % increase in population (twice the national average) over the last five or six years. That's a lot of people to accommodate in a relatively short time and I'm sure public services are stretched pretty thin.
Not at all. What I am saying that everyone is missing, is that there are more murders and attempted murders every year and it will continue to be so with the gang and drug culture.

Population increase has nothing to do with it and means nothing to those who are dying in the streets. Just because the population increases 10% does not in any way offset the fact that there are more dead people from handguns every single year.

That is what should be alarming, not stats per 100,000. Society is changing and too many just brush it off on increased population stats.

The real truth is that there are far too many young hoodlums packing handguns and think they are playing a video game. Death is very real, especially for 11 year old kids caught in the cross fire.

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
Think about it a little more 'spec. I'll even help you get started:

If Manitoba and Saskatchewan also have increasing...
do they have the same increase as AB?
do they have the billions of extra dollars that could have been spent on social programs to help prevent crime a la "heritage fund?"

better go have some coffee and get back to me

·
Premium Member
8,903 Posts
You're still having trouble with your knee, 'spec. Try thinking instead of looking down there for advice.

Going by one measure -- homicide rate -- Alberta's has increased less since 2001 and, as of 2005, was still lower relative to MB and SK.

Unfortunately, this is quite a complex matter so your knee will give you much trouble if you try to think your way through it. You seem to have tried to simplify that matter as per Fox doctrine by simply being a hack. Good job.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
gee, have both MB and SK had 36 (and counting) continuous years of Con rule, not to mention 14+ years of Ralphie (hiccup) Klein at the healm?

I wonder if drinking and driving a province is a criminal offence?
Totally uninformed as usual:

Manitoba has not had a Conservative government since 1999:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Manitoba_general_elections

Saskatchewan has not had a Conservative government since 1991:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Saskatchewan_general_elections

·
Premium Member
8,903 Posts
Aside from the hack, for those interested, the Prairies homicide rates:

Man.
1990 3.53
1995 2.39
2000 2.61
2005 4.16

Sask.
1990 3.57
1995 2.07
2000 2.58
2005 4.33

Alta.
1990 2.91
1995 2.19
2000 1.96
2005 3.35

I pieced together two separate StatsCan sources, with the break being between 2003 and 2004, but they should be quite close (I think the underlying population data was revised).

[Edit: Trouble getting the spacing to work. Sorry. Less data used to clean it up.]

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
now, how about factoring in AB's enormous wealth which should allow them to spend more on social programs and thereby reduce crime

both MB and SK are "have not" provinces

but i guess BJ and SINC believe that everyone should pull themselves up by their own bootstraps, right, err correct?

and while we're at it, let's dismantle socialized medicine in Canada, something AB has been at the forefront of

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.