ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks to me like "Steady Eddie" is not so steady any more. Stelmach's policies on H1N1, health care and education have caused him to fall out of favour with Alberta voters. His choice of a high school dropout as health minister is widely resented by many Albertans. Even my old pal Paul Stanway, former Edmonton Sun editor and legislative bureau chief who went on to become Stelmach's press secretary is bailing out in January. The beginning of the end of the Alberta Tory dynasty?

Upstart party would form gov’t if vote held now, new poll reveals

The Wildrose Alliance party would form the next provincial government in Alberta if an election were held tomorrow, according to a new poll of decided voters that gives the rightof-centre party a double-digit lead in popular support over the long-ruling Tories.

A new Angus Reid Public Opinion survey of 1,000 Albertans, provided exclusively to the Calgary Herald, suggests 39 per cent of voters would cast a ballot for Danielle Smith and the Wildrose Alliance.

The fledgling party is pulling away from Premier Ed Stelmach’s Progressive Conservatives, who were tied with David Swann’s Liberals for second place with the backing of 25 per cent of decided voters provincewide, according to the poll.
Edmonton Journal Digital

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
Wow, a right wing party ousting another right wing party. Yawn. Wake me up when Alberta moves towards the centre or *gasp* to the left.

"Alberta, we're so right we can't possibly be wrong!"

·
Premium Member
6,388 Posts
Frying pan, fire what's left to say, from, to?

·
Canadian By Choice
116,642 Posts
Interesting. I am curious which of Stelmach's policies on education have caused him to fall out of favour with Alberta voters.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting. I am curious which of Stelmach's policies on education have caused him to fall out of favour with Alberta voters.
Deep cuts to funding. Big increases in classroom sizes. Closing schools and bussing students afield. Elimination of teacher's aides in schools with special needs children. 60% increase in university tuition. How's that for starters? The list does go on.

·
Premium Member
42,280 Posts
SINC: The Wildrose Party has a distinct libertarian flavour. I like it!

·
Premium Member
23,273 Posts
As much as I'm tired of Stelmach's BS for at least a dozen reasons, there's no way that WR is ready for the Show.

We'll see what 2 years and a few floor crossings will do...

·
Canadian By Choice
116,642 Posts
Deep cuts to funding. Big increases in classroom sizes. Closing schools and bussing students afield. Elimination of teacher's aides in schools with special needs children. 60% increase in university tuition. How's that for starters? The list does go on.
Amazing, given that there is the Heritage Fund that could be used for this sort of funding. What might the Wildrose Party do re education?

·
Premium Member
42,280 Posts
As much as I'm tired of Stelmach's BS for at least a dozen reasons, there's no way that WR is ready for the Show.

We'll see what 2 years and a few floor crossings will do...
It may just make the party in power behave a little more like their ancestors.

·
Canadian By Choice
116,642 Posts
Are there any WR members in the provincial legislature yet?

·
Premium Member
9,602 Posts
Morning Sinc, should be interesting .... do you think the WR will wind up like the NDP in Ontario under Uncle Bobby? They have virtually no experience in the legislature and it showed .... on term and gone, or do they have members with some experience?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think Alberta is ready for a change Rp. With continuous Tory governments since Lougheed back in 1971, there is reason to believe people are finally tired. And with Klein gone and Stelmach turning out to be a bitter disappointment with the personality of a cupcake, their popularity has dropped through the basement floor.

There are plenty of politically savvy former Tories who would step forward and run for the WP. And furthermore, I very much doubt inexperience would matter. Voters are poised to jump at a change. Now whether or not it would be a one term wonder would depend entirely upon the party's performance if it indeed could form a government.

Incidentally, it is the Wildrose Party (WP) not the Wild Rose Party (WR).

·
Canadian By Choice
116,642 Posts
Is the elected member from Calgary also the leader of the WP?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Is the elected member from Calgary also the leader of the WP?
Dr. G., the leader is Danielle Smith, and Deputy Leader is Paul Hinman, the man who ran against her for the leadership.

He is also the sole elected member of the Wildrose Alliance Party or WAP and represents the riding of Calgary-Glenmore in the legislature.

You can find the party’s web site here:

Wildrose Alliance Party

·
Premium Member
3,441 Posts
... bussing students afield...
Well, if he's out in a field kissing students, I'm not surprised that he's less than popular!

·
Canadian By Choice
116,642 Posts
Dr. G., the leader is Danielle Smith, and Deputy Leader is Paul Hinman, the man who ran against her for the leadership.

He is also the sole elected member of the Wildrose Alliance Party or WAP and represents the riding of Calgary-Glenmore in the legislature.

You can find the party’s web site here:

Wildrose Alliance Party
Interesting point about bringing "back the Alberta Advantage". From what my wife's family, who live in Calgary and Edmonton tell me, they see the current government letting this advantage slip away.

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
It looks like the PC riding association owns http://www.heatherforsyth.com, I wonder she will be able to get it back?

Domain: heatherforsyth.com

Date Registered: 11/28/08
Date Modified: 12/01/09
Expiry Date: 01/19/11
DNS1: NS1.CANADAWEBHOSTING.COM
DNS2: NS2.CANADAWEBHOSTING.COM

Registrant

Calgary Fish Creek PC Association
Christopher Gibbons
Box 43140,Deer Valley RPO 1221 Canyon Meadows DR SE
Calgary, ab (CA)
T2J 7A7