Status
Not open for further replies.
81 - 100 of 203 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
New poll shows contented Quebec and angry Prairies — and no wonder

It was damned near impossible for the Liberals to turn Quebec into Canada’s happiest, most optimistic province, while killing hopes for millions of people in Alberta and Saskatchewan.

But they’ve done it. Brilliantly.

We already knew discontent was deep on the Prairies. A new Angus Reid Institute poll shows it’s almost bottomless.

Seventy-one per cent of Albertans are dissatisfied with the way the country is going. Only 29 per cent approve.

In Saskatchewan, 61 per cent are dissatisfied; 39 per cent are relatively happy.

Moving east, Reid finds that Quebecers are Canada’s most contented citizens.

Fully 76 per cent like Canada’s direction; only 24 per cent are dissatisfied.
I guess if I'd been gifted a couple hundred billion $$$ over the last 40 years, I'd be pretty fukcing happy, too...

Related:

How satisfied are you with things in Canada? Poll reveals a chasm between Alberta, Quebec

Those numbers represent steep declines from four years ago. In Alberta, the number of people happy with the direction of the country has plummeted from 53 per cent in 2016 to 29 per cent today. In Saskatchewan, the number has dropped 18 percentage points from 57 to 39 per cent.
Related, too:

Calgary conference to discuss the ‘Value of Alberta’

A one-day conference in Calgary on Saturday is set to discuss Alberta’s role in Confederation.

Called the “Value of Alberta,” the conference at the Telus Convention Centre is being put on by Alberta Proud, Buffalo Project, and Canadians For Democracy and Prosperity .

·
Premium Member
23,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
There is only one figure that is acceptable: $0.00

And the only way that's gonna happen is Wexit.

Alberta can FORCE Trudeau to renegotiate equalization payments: Report

A new report by the Fraser Institute shows that any province can force other provinces and the federal government to renegotiate the constitution.

In what will be a welcome report to Alberta Premier Jason Kenney and Saskatchewan Premier Scott Moe, the Fraser Institute made a particular note of equalization payments—finding that the payment system could be restructured.

·
Premium Member
23,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
I Want A New Country

Yes, it would create some problems. But it would solve the big one.

Alberta MPs launched a counter attack on Thursday after a report surfaced Liberal MPs have been pleading with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to give the thumbs down to a new oil sands project.

The Teck Frontier mine in northern Alberta would create thousands of jobs and add hundreds of thousands of barrels of oil into the province’s economy.

Alberta MPs launched a counter attack on Thursday after a report surfaced Liberal MPs have been pleading with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to give the thumbs down to a new oil sands project.​
The excerpted Tweet at the link throws into sharp relief the fundamental (that wasn't my first choice of f-words...) ignorance of Alberta's issues by the ROC.

·
Premium Member
23,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·

·
Premium Member
23,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Ain't interested...

Alberta as the 51st State isn’t a crazy as you might think

Rebel Media owner Ezra Levant hosted a Calgary townhall meeting in October, 2019. He asked those in attendance if Alberta should become the 51st state. The room responded overwhelmingly, “No.” A Research Co. Study found that only 22 per cent of Albertans say their province would be better off as an American state. In contrast, 40 per cent of Albertans believe the province would be better off as its own country. In short, those Albertans ready to cut the cord with Ottawa do not want to reconnect it with Washington.

There are many reasons – both social and political – for this lack of enthusiasm. But leaving the maple leaf for the star-spangled banner merits consideration.
Bold mine.

Considered. Rejected.

·
Premium Member
8,903 Posts
Ain't interested...

Alberta as the 51st State isn’t a crazy as you might think

Bold mine.

Considered. Rejected.
Same, but I'll add that the article is terrible. One example is that it is very short-sighted. Pipeline politics were also a mess in the U.S. just three years ago, and some states, such as New York, still find ways to mess around with inter-state pipelines. Alberta will be one election away from shenanigans in either country.

There were many other problems in the article, but one highlight is enough. Okay, one more. She got the senate seat count wrong too.

·
Premium Member
17,841 Posts
Same, but I'll add that the article is terrible. One example is that it is very short-sighted. Pipeline politics were also a mess in the U.S. just three years ago, and some states, such as New York, still find ways to mess around with inter-state pipelines. Alberta will be one election away from shenanigans in either country.

There were many other problems in the article, but one highlight is enough. Okay, one more. She got the senate seat count wrong too.
Turning transplanted Albertans into American Citizens, would be a nightmare for any who choose to later move back to the Maritimes or Ontario. Long story short, between FuBARs, 8938s and 3520s, sooner or later they would miss one and the IRS would have every penny they own. Not to mention it would be almost impossible to go into business for themselves once they left Alberta.

·
Premium Member
23,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·

Hmmm. Missed this post earlier. Sorry.

I agree, there were several issues with the article but the main point is what I disagreed with.

·
Premium Member
23,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
Wexit Saskatchewan

A new provincial party takes shape.

In a livestream announcement on the VoteWexit.com Facebook Group, lead
registration coordinator, Eric Wall has announced that the application for
official party registration was delivered to Elections Saskatchewan late
last week.

The efforts involved in the registration process managed to gather nearly
1,100 more signatures than what was required to apply – the total signature
count for the application was 3, 599.

Wall also stated that the application process should be complete within a
couple weeks and the official word should be posted on the Elections
Saskatchewan website after the approval has been given.​

As I predicted.
Goodgoodgood.

·
Premium Member
23,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
Don't worry about us. We got our own plan. We're gonna innovate ourselves right out of this $h!thole country...

Trudeau has 'greater, greener goals' for Alberta's oil economy, says province must 'innovate'

"As we move forward to a different energy mix, to lower fossil fuel emissions, lower green house gas emissions, we need the innovation, the hard work, and the vision and the creativity of people working right now in the energy sector. We need to support Albertans, and other people working in the energy sector, through this incredible, difficult time," he continued.

"We need their capacity to innovate, and figure out how we're going to move forward towards our greater, greener goals. We can't do it without them."
Bold mine.

Finally!!! Too little, too late...

Related:

Rex Murphy: Only the Greens and separatists could find 'opportunity' in a pandemic

During a crisis that's seen hundreds of thousands of deaths, it is really difficult to craft a sentence in which COVID-19 swims in the same lexical waters as 'opportunity.' But May has done it

·
Premium Member
23,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
Go, Already

Quote of the Century from Chris Selley – 100% of Canadians know for a fact what this country would look like if the oil sands were in Quebec.

“We get oil from Alberta. We pay for it. They don't give us any special price, so they should thank us not send us chains of insults,” said @yfblanchet. “It is not a reason to say OK let's keep doing something which is wrong because some people in Quebec do it.” pic.twitter.com/sxZjR7q67y

— Power & Politics (@PnPCBC) May 6, 2020​

We don’t share the same country. Why do we continue to pretend?
Bold mine.

Many of us don't.

·
Premium Member
23,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Interesting...

I Want A New Country

Great news;

A highly credible new leader has stepped forward to lead the Wexit movement. For Canadian federalists, like me, it’s bad news; for Western separatists it’s great news.

Jay Hill, the former whip and House leader in Stephen Harper’s federal Conservative government, has taken the reins of the Wexit movement — a fledgling entity that aims for Western Canada to separate from Canada.

In an understated announcement made on the Wexit Canada Facebook page Tuesday at 5 p.m., Hill was declared the new interim leader, taking over from Peter Downing. So why is this 67-year-old former Reform party MP launching this seemingly impossible task?

“Simply, in one sentence, I’m doing this for my grandchildren,” says Hill, who has three preschool-aged grandkids.

“Western Canada is never gonna get a fair shake from the rest of Canada. Confederation does not work. It cannot work. It is not structured to work.

“Those in the golden triangle of Quebec, Toronto, Ottawa, they don’t care about the West except as a cash cow to feed Quebec and the Maritimes,” said Hill.
Bold mine.

Agreed.

From the comments:

...Jay Hill is a scrapper and very organized. He is an Old He ****, Trudeau will put out his hand and pull back a stump The CPC party is a dead man walking in the west They just lost more than Trudeau. This going to be epic.
:clap::clap::clap:

Sounds like someone I can throw my support behind.

·
Premium Member
23,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
The ‘Wildrose’ is back: FCP & Wexit members vote to form new party

The Wildrose is back on the Alberta political landscape.

Members of Wexit Alberta and the Freedom Conservative Party voted overwhelmingly Monday to merge their parties into the new Wildrose Independence Party of Alberta.

A total of 97.5 per cent of FCP members voted to ratify the agreement, easily surpassing the 75 per cent required by the party’s constitution, and beating the 90 per cent predicted by FCP president Ricky Northey.

On the Wexit Alberta side, 96.1 per cent voted ‘yes’ to the merger agreement, which required a simple majority.
More:

The rebirth of a party under the Wildrose banner has the potential to disrupt the current political landscape in Alberta. A poll conducted in late May for the Western Standard found that the theoretical new party had the support of 10 per cent of the electorate without any leader at the helm. The same poll found that between 45 and 48 per cent of Albertans backed an independence vote on the province’s sovereignty.
Bold mine.

:clap::clap::clap:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Up yours.

·
Premium Member
17,841 Posts
Up yours.
I see you been smokin the TrueDope weed again. Perhaps you should lay off it a bit, as it's clearly causing severe brain damage.

·
Premium Member
42,882 Posts
The Trust Fund was pillaged to pay for Ontario's economic failures via equalization payments.

·
Premium Member
23,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
~v Becauth ith's 2015!

I Want A New Country

And by golly, Trudeau may be just the man to make it happen;

It was the second time in two weeks the Trudeau Liberals have let it be known that they intend to start spending big time in an attempt to remake Canada’s economy during the pandemic.

“Justin Trudeau is weighing sweeping changes to the country’s social welfare system and a series of economic measures that will align Canada with ambitious climate goals,” Reuters reported. Those comments mirrored what had been leaked to the Toronto Star more than a week earlier, Trudeau wants to remake the Canadian economy using the pandemic as an excuse.

So, what can we expect?

Based on those leaks we should brace for much higher government spending, expanded social programs, new taxes and a real push to shut down Canada’s oil and gas sector.​

Are you paying attention yet, Premier Moe?
Comments salient, from whence comes this:

Warning! Liberal spending blitz ahead

With the sudden resignation of finance minister Bill Morneau, Canadians should be asking a simple question: are the federal Liberals about to embark on a new spending spree? Differences in views between a finance minister and prime minister are common, but with Morneau’s departure the signal seems to be to loosen the belt — which is not easy when you’re already planning a deficit of $343 billion. Perhaps the new minister of finance, Chrystia Freeland, will be a stronger personality with her own ideas of belt tightening. We shall see.

When I say “spending spree” I’m not referring to the multitude of temporary support programs that are already producing the gigantic deficit in fiscal year 2020-21. No, I mean permanent public spending, including growing interest charges.
More:

People with earnings up to $48,000, for example, would face marginal tax rates as high as 74 per cent under the 50-cent clawback (or 40 per cent with the 15-cent clawback).
Bold mine.

Eye watering...

·
Premium Member
23,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
No.

Wexit co-founder wants Alberta to become part of the U.S.

Political staffers driving into work at Alberta’s legislative assembly on Monday should prepare themselves to come face to face with Donald Trump.

The Alberta USA Foundation, a public action committee led by Wexit co-founder Peter Downing, has paid for a billboard on 109 Street near Jasper Avenue which features a photo of the American president and asks the question: “Should Alberta join the U.S.?”

Downing believes Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s vision for Canada is going to “spell our economic death in Alberta” and that joining the United States would solve Alberta’s economic and political problems.
Bold mine.

Not even close. It would simply compound the problem. Independence is the only option.

81 - 100 of 203 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.