Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Future Shop is flogging wireless base stations for $49.99 on its web site at the moment and I was just wondering...why would a Mac user pay $299 for an Airport base station when they can have another brand for far less?

I am just trying to see the real benefit is all.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The AEBS does offer a couple of nice things over most other base stations.

It offers wireless bridging so two base stations can be connected together without wires.

It also offers transceiver power control so you can limit the range of the base station. Not all routers offer this.

But I can't see why someone would shell out the money unless they needed these features. Especially when the D-link G router now selss for less then $100 bucks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sort of a wireless newbie here...

I was under the impression that non-Airport wireless routers didn't work with Macs? Do your posts imply that if I got an Airport card for my imac that I could use it with our Linksys wireless router at home?

Thx-

J.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
jamied - Airport is 802.11b, and Airport Extreme is 802.11g. All the names are is way to market them, so yes your Mac can connect to other routers just fine, though some people have some problems with WEP Passwords (usually just have to add a $ in front of the password if it doesn't work).

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yes. I have been using the D-link 624 router since November with my Airport equipped Powerbook. No issues whatsoever.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The only problem I've ever seen or heard was with certain brands/models of routers, and updating the firmware. In this case it was a Linksys, and the Mac just was unable to run the update. We somehow got a PC into his house and updated the router (this was a major patch allowing access to cable internet). Weather this is still true or not for the Linksys brand, I couldn’t say! But its something I would look into!

I personal use a Netgear router. It’s never let me down; I wish I could say the same for my ISP.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
I've updated the firmware of a number of routers with my Mac in both OS X and OS 9. In most cases the only caveat is that you have to use Internet Explorer.

If you're security conscious (or paranoid), the AirPort Extreme Base Stations offer a lot of extra features (LEAP authentication and a few others).

For the most part though, other brands work just fine. They are somewhat more difficult to set up, but that is because Apple's AirPort Admin utility makes it so easy for the AEBS.

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
I've got a linksys $99 wireless router. Works great with my iBook g3/900/airport and my rental iBook G4/800/Airport Extreme.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Quick question,
I have the D-Link DI-714P+ router, and airport card.
I will be getting a new powerbook soon, with airport extreme. Will this particular router work with extreme.
Thanks

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Dave,

I am on Telus lite home ADSL with unlimited time for $25 a month and get 160 kps steady as a rock.

If I take it out to the motor home in the back yard, it drops off to about 100 kps (50 feet away). Not super fast, but gets me by nicely for the price.

Cheers

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
jamied, i'm pretty sure that a router is just a router - wireless or otherwise....
not so fast.....
very few wireless routers will "route" appletalk over the wireless portion
if you only need TCP/IP, your statement is more correct
if you need appletalk to print to a laserwriter or some such printer, the statement is not correct

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
dowlaren, I just tried your download site and registered 1276 kbps in my rec room. The WAP is upstairs and my daughter was using her Lombard on the network downloading email, unknown to me at the time. Will try it later to see if it is any different.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
FYI - I've noticed that no one has mentioned wireless usb printing. Meaning your USB printer plugs into your AEBS and you can print from anywhere on the network wirelessly provided you have 10.2.8 or later.
I currently run a Belkin 54G router, but if I can find AEBS on EBay for a good price, I will go for it for that reason alone.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Just going through this myself.

As already said most routers will work just fine. Firmware upgrade on them can be trickier because their main market is pc.

I have two printers that are both networkable so I needed something that supports Appletalk, this is the problem. The AEBS does obviously but few others do.

I ended up ordering the VR2004 Asante. Asante have been with Mac for years and make a great product. What I like about this unit is it has a higher power output compared to most others, 18db compared with 15db on the AEBS. Apparently it's not linear but exponential so hopefully I should get excellent range which is often difficult with the AEBS which is more concerned with design and looks than performance.

One nice thing about the AEBS is the Airport setup software, very easy and nice to use.

For my money and my needs, $80 for a highend business wireless B router as compared to $300+ for the Apple is a no brainer.

FWIW

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Meaning your USB printer plugs into your AEBS and you can print from anywhere on the network wirelessly provided you have 10.2.8 or later.
The "printing part" of wireless has so far eluded me. Just what is an AEBS and where can one obtain one? My powerbook prints on my USB Canon printer if it is plugged in to the ethernet, but not wireless.

Cheers

1 - 20 of 25 Posts