Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just managed to pick up a used 700 ibook for my parents which has an airport card installed.

Now should I be getting them the airport or can I get them the airport extreme base station?

Can you buy the aiport base station (not extreme) new or would I have to buy used?

Is there any compatibility issues with the airport vs airport extreme?

Oh, and in a 2400 sq ft wood construction house, would they need the airport base station WITH the antenna or without in order to be able to roam all around the house? I've never tried my airport between more than one wall and about 30 ft.

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
You can't buy an Airport Base Station new anymore. Only Extreme. The only incompatibility I can think of is you need OS X to configure APX. As long as they are running OS X or at least have it on the iBook to configure it, you shouldn't have any problems. You can also buy a third party wireless router for less $$.

As far as range, I think you should be fine. With a wood house, there shouldn't be a problem. Put the base station on the highest floor if possible.

·
Registered
728 Posts
i suppose web surf is their primary need, the basic airport base station (graphite) will do it just fine, and cheaper. since extreme technology is backwards compatible there will be no problems with OSX. the benefit of airport to extreme is that aiport has a longer range than extreme. you may get all info and buy the base station from here:
www.basestationrepair.com

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rollee?? Did I hear you correctly?? The original Airport has a better range than the new airport extreme?? Wow. that seems odd??

Funny thing. The only *real* problem I've had with my apple setup since I switched in May is m AE Basestation. No matter how many firmware's I install or what other changes I make, it's still not reliable. Switching to Panther has been the most help but since installing Panther I've still had to reset the base station about half a dozen times. It's really a bitch. I was hoping to leave it in a dark dusty corner somewhere far away from my brain cells...but since I have to restart it so often I have to keep it accessible.

I have talked to applecare a number of times about this and they are just so reluctant to take it back and give me a new one. :rolleyes:

(oh, and my airport card works perfectly so that's not it...ie and university where we have wireless...never drops off there and I use it a lot.)

·
Registered
728 Posts
it is indeed that the extreme base station has poor range compare the the 'old' b standard ABS, regardless of antenna. however i am not sure about the reliability issue, my graphite has been very reliable, other than slowing down my DSL connection a bit (still cannot find a fix after numerous tries-i gave up).
pam please read the site i quoted, the guy is very knowledgable and friendly.

·
Premium Member
3,753 Posts
Interesting, as the 3rd party routers (e.g. Belkin)advocate a much better range with 54g compared to 11b. I swiched for other reason but never had distance probs anyway, so I can't give own story.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What do the "real world" speed differences actually feel like between the airport and the airport extreme?

If this speed difference is significant and I want to switch to extreme, can I put an airport exteme card IN the 700 ibook or will it only take the original airport?

edit: nevermind. I did a search and found the answer. That's a bummer man.

But I'm still interested in finding out what the difference actually feels like. Is it noticable at all when surfing?

[ November 12, 2003, 12:56 PM: Message edited by: Pamela ]

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
The only speed increase APX gives you is for network file transfers and network printing. For internet, you will never notice a difference. Now, in the future, when providers come out with faster connections, APX may have an advantage.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.