Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I currently have an 800MHz eMac at home and have been thinking about getting a 12" PowerBook at some point.

If I were to put an Airport card in my eMac and one the PowerBook I want to buy...would the PB be able to access the Internet through the eMac...without also having to purchase the Airport base station?

I have been lead to believe that I could do this by turning the eMac into a "software basestation."

Would this work or am I completely off my rocker?

·
Registered
470 Posts
VertiGoGo - Yes, it can be done. No, you're not "off your rocker" :D

On the eMac, go to system prefs, sharing, internet tab. Turn internet sharing on.

The eMac will share its internet connection with the PB.

On the eMac, go to system prefs, network, airport, airport tab. Choose allow this computer to create networks.

On the PB, join the eMac's network.

Let me know if you get it working.

·
Tritium Glow
7,141 Posts
The drawback being that the eMac has to be fully on for the inet sharing to work. No sleep.

Consider getting a WiFi router (other than the A'port Base Station) they are getting really cheap and work just as well.

For the price of an airport card for the eMac you can get a router, then plug in the eMac via CAT5 and have the Powerbook portable.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.