Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning a sales trip to these provinces and am looking for some wireless highspeed hotspots.

Dial up connections are not the same, so I thought I would try this approach.

Someone posted this link Hot Spot List - Canada.
And this is a good start but I thought people from these provinces would be able to expand.

Just need to check my email, email out my orders, check in with ehMac.ca, maybe have a coffee and surf.....

I will be in:

Alberta - Edmonton, Red Deer, Calgary, Lethbridge, Lloydminster, Cold Lake (I don't expect much there),

Saskatchewan - Saskatoon, Regina, Swift Current.

and then British Columbia - Vancouver

And surrounding areas but these are the main centers.

Any help would be appreciated.
Canada's Mac Community! - Can't get much more Western Canada than that list.

[ September 06, 2003, 04:00 PM: Message edited by: Heart ]

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Heart, Calgary's wifi spots are very poorly documented, and I haven't found much info on any except for one Second Cup down in the South end of the city and the Fairmont Paliser Hotel. You're best bet for finding some signals is to drive around with iStumbler or something similar. Though, the city of Calgary is supposed to create 4 hot spots available to the public (or they already are, I don't know) in downtown, with the only one I know of (or where its being placed) being the W. Castell Library right downtown. So depending where you are in the city you could get lucky. Also I've noticed at least in the area just north of downtown several internet cafes have been popping up and a price war has been rampant, so if you don't mind using a PC, there are many cafes around Calgary.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Vancouver has a few options, but most require you to put down some $$$.

If you're travelling by air, the Vancouver airport has free wireless internet. I've heard that other airports do as well, but none that I've been to yet.

The big name in Vancouver wireless is Fatport. They have a number of locations throughout the area.

A few select Second Cup locations have it. Most are in Toronto, but I managed to find one in Halifax when visiting there. It was free to use as long as I bought something. Unfortunately, I haven't found a complete list of locations offering this service.This one is very Ontario-centric.

The only other website I could find that tracks hotspots is WiFinder. It looks pretty thorough.

Good luck!

- Martin.

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
If you are in Calgary Check out www.wirelesscity.ca
part of the downtown core is wireless.

Also, we have an open Airport Network at our store (WestWorld Computers) if you wish to come and use it (It is on 24/7), 1000 Centre St. N

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input. I have been in AB for a week now, Edmonton and area. An in between sales calls I have my Pismo running with iStumbler.

I have found lots of little connections, some of them I do not think are computer connections.

Voxcom - This is a security company but my pismo picks it up all the time.

I also found Holiday Inn - Calgary Trail & Whitemud ( Ithink that was it. across from the old Ikea) This was a slick Hotel deal, recognized the wireless and then asked for my credit card number so I could surf :(

Don't get me wrong I will pay for internet but not for a 24 hours of service when I am only there for a half hour or so.

I have not found a convenient internet cafe, and it would be better to connect with the Pismo. I travel all over every city.

MacDaddy - Thanks for the info I will put this to use. Maybe even during the day. I have been in that store before but that was two years back. The link will also be used.

mbaldwin - What is Fatport, I have seen it in Edmonton, do I pay for use? I'll be in Vancouver last week in September.

IMHO - Vancouver is very computer/wireless/Apple friendly. So I anticipate no real problems. I will check my email at the Airport as I arrive. Are they still charging a AIRPORT RENOVATION FEE ?

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
P.S.

WestWorld Edmonton is one of the biggest BAD A$$ Apple Retailers I have ever been too.

They have it all BUT, an open wireless connection.

shame, shame, shame......

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
The Westworld in Edmonton used to be the largest Apple Store in North America until Apple started its own Chain.
I have never been but I hear its great, its a shame that they have no airport for you though :(
Hop the info comes in usefull!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Fatport is a pay service, and I have never used it personally. But it seems a lot better thought out than the PC-biased "cybercafes" I've tried to hook my TiBook into in the past. Ugh.

You can purchase minutes online, or at the locations themselves (I think - better check that first) and they use web-based authentication that works on any computer. Check the fatport website for the details.

As for the airport fee - yes, you have to pay $10 to leave the Vancouver airport.

- Martin.

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you Westworld Calgary, I very easily connected and downloaded some email and got up-to-date with the new released from Apple.

And my humble observations on the Westworld, Calgary store, it was buzzing, girls doin' this, service doin' that, sales guy doin this n' that.

I enjoyed the visit.

Even though I didn't make myself known.

Look out Posterboy, I'm comin' your way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts