Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Available now in Software update is Airport Extreme Update 2007-004. According to Apple "This update is recommended for all Intel-based MacBook, MacBook Pro, and Mac mini computers and improves the reliability of AirPort connections."

After Installing, doing a "kextstat|grep -i Airport" in Terminal gives me this:

79 0 0x3ca9f000 0x89000 0x88000 com.apple.driver.AirPort.Atheros (235.9.3) <78 41 16 6 5 4 3 2>

In English, it's a new version of the Atheros Driver (235.9.3).

Perhaps this is the fix to the kernel panics that people have been talking about.

A stand alone installer is available below:

Apple - Support - Downloads - AirPort Extreme Update 2007-004

·
Premium Member
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I installed the Airport update. Browsing "feels" faster. I've never had the kernel panic so I can't comment on if it solves that problem. I've also noticed my signal strength bouncing between full strength and 3/4 strength. The PC laptop that this MBP replaced did the same thing, so I'm not worried (so far).

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I installed the Airport update. Browsing "feels" faster. I've never had the kernel panic so I can't comment on if it solves that problem. I've also noticed my signal strength bouncing between full strength and 3/4 strength. The PC laptop that this MBP replaced did the same thing, so I'm not worried (so far).
Don't notice a difference so far. My signal strength has been very unsteady ever since I got this machine. Don't know if it's normal or not, but this update hasn't changed a thing. The real test for me will be when I test out the network with the MBP and the iBook (which has an original "b" AirPort card) together. In the past, whenever the iBook is on the network, my connection speeds on the MBP grind to a halt.

·
Registered
960 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow! These things keep popping up every time I turn around!

The security update is a key one as it fixes a serious issue with SAMBA. If you use Windows File sharing, you need to download this NOW!

·
Premium Member
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Don't notice a difference so far. My signal strength has been very unsteady ever since I got this machine. Don't know if it's normal or not, but this update hasn't changed a thing. The real test for me will be when I test out the network with the MBP and the iBook (which has an original "b" AirPort card) together. In the past, whenever the iBook is on the network, my connection speeds on the MBP grind to a halt.
Mine was steady on m MBP until I installed this update. Now it bounces up and down as I mentioned previously.

·
Registered
726 Posts
test for me will be when I test out the network with the MBP and the iBook (which has an original "b" AirPort card) together. In the past, whenever the iBook is on the network, my connection speeds on the MBP grind to a halt.
That is not unusual. Your AP drops back into B mode when B devices are around. It would be a good idea to get another AP, put in in G mode only and/or get a new wireless card for the iBook.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
That is not unusual. Your AP drops back into B mode when B devices are around. It would be a good idea to get another AP, put in in G mode only and/or get a new wireless card for the iBook.
First, this iBook won't take a "g" card. Second, I have no such problems with my Mini, which has a "g" AirPort Card, and third, even "b" speeds are 11 mbps, whereas my Internet connection is only 3, so I don't think this is a b/g issue, I think it's an issue with the new MBP AirPort card, which is 802.11n, and since "n" is still a draft standard, it's buggy.

Incidentally, the update hasn't changed a thing for me, but I never did have any problems with kernel panics.

·
Premium Member
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
1 - 12 of 12 Posts