Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

What's the max range to get hi-speed internet with the AirPort extreme base station? The Apple site state a max distance of 50 meters w/o the antenna.

Anybody has any experience with one??

I intend to connect two houses across a street on the same internet account following an offer by an ISP.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
If you are willing to drop the speed down, the range will increase. While the range of 11Mbps is usually around 150-200 feet, the range of 5.5 Mbps is upwards of 250-300 feet.

5.5 is more than fast enough to surf the web and check email, but is a little slow for network file transfers.

I am not sure of the exact numbers for the AirPort Extreme Base Station, but they are probably similar, or at least of a similar scale.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Or.. you could add a directional antenna to extend the range of your base station.. but you have to get the Airport Extreme base with the antenna port..

Also, remember.. WEP that network.. I am still amazed at how you can walk down the street here in Montreal and grab network after network.. and most are using default passwords on their routers.. I usually leave nice little notes in a field or two on the router to tell folks to "lock" them down..

Cheers,

RtC

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Directional antennas? Who makes them?

Fact is, I live in housing coop where we have 3 appartment buildings. One is about 300 feet and another, 600 feet from the future AirPort base station. The ISP is offering to connect us to one account. I a bit leery of broadband exessive use.

Would a server with s/w to have so many sub-accounts feasable?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts