Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone i have searched google and can find nowhere the range of an original airport card if anyone knows the range or has one of these cards and could make an estimate it would be apreciated.

Also i already own one of those after the mac wirless usb's it gets good range and i was wonder some other peoples opnion: i am thinking of selling my iMac g3 and buying an iBook and wanted to know what people thought about keeping the after the mac wireless vs selling it with the iMac g3 how do the after the mac wirless adapters compair to the airport cards:confused:

Last question can an airport card connect to any router or do you need an airport brand one? lol or is that just an option for people that only own macs anyways?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did this post fall through a time warp from 2001 or something??
lol well maybe because i wasnt a member in 2001 and theres no way im searching the threads back tht far :]

·
Premium Member
15,709 Posts
Since chas_m refuses to answer your questions....

If you're getting the iBook for portability, get one with an Airport Card or put one it it. It's a two minute easy installation, and Airport Cards (either B for iBook G3 or B/G extreme for iBook G4) cost way less than they used to.

Apple Airport Cards can connect to any equivalent wireless access point (if they are B or B/G, see above), it doesn't have to be an Apple wireless router, although that makes it slightly easier. So you can connect in coffee shops, airports, to the neighbours' open wireless, etc.

Sell your USB wireless separately: it might have some historical value to someone. Or, keep it, for the same reason.

Some of us like our legacy hardware, even if we like the new stuff as well.

Hi everyone i have searched google and can find nowhere the range of an original airport card if anyone knows the range or has one of these cards and could make an estimate it would be apreciated.

Also i already own one of those after the mac wirless usb's it gets good range and i was wonder some other peoples opnion: i am thinking of selling my iMac g3 and buying an iBook and wanted to know what people thought about keeping the after the mac wireless vs selling it with the iMac g3 how do the after the mac wirless adapters compair to the airport cards:confused:

Last question can an airport card connect to any router or do you need an airport brand one? lol or is that just an option for people that only own macs anyways?

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help HowEver :)

·
Premium Member
11,953 Posts
Since HowEver refused to address your first question, ie "what is the range of the 802.11b Airport card" as stated in your first post ... :)

An airport card had an advertised range of up to 1200 feet (see here) but in reality this was at best exaggerated. I found that under ideal conditions I could get up to about 1/4th that distance (300 feet), and even then the signal dropped off seriously after as little as 100 feet. The later "g" card was much better, and the "n" card is better still.

Sorry I didn't answer your question up front, but someone in 2009 talking about selling their G3 iMac and getting an iBook made me seriously believe the post had been mis-time-stamped.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lol thanks chas being helpful for once

1 - 9 of 9 Posts