1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
intel iMac
2GHz Core 2 Duo
2GB RAM

This mac is no longer booting. All it does is load a blue screen with the pointer and the pointer has a striped grey box attached to it. It does boot in safe mode, however.

Here's what I've tried:

reset PRAM
repaired permissions
repaired disk: no errors found
ran hardware tester: no errors found, but under the communication tab it only shows the MAC address for the Ethernet and Firewire (i.e., no airport)

And, in safe mode, it states that "no airport hardware can be found".

Is it possible that the airport card has been fried? Could that be causing this problem?

Suggestions?

Thanks.

James

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
I'd boot from the installer disk and perform an Archive & Install of the OS. It shouldn't take long and will re-fresh the OS without having to re-install 3rd party apps.

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, by holding down the option key when the computer started and having the iMac OSX Install Disc 1 in the drive. From here I was able to do the archive and install (10.4.7) as well using the disk utility for repairing permissions and repairing the hard drive. This did not fix the problem.

James

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have notice that when you safe boot the airport card does not load as it is actually a separate card and not included on the motherboard and safeboot seems to miss al externals.

I would try to reset the PMU (Power Management Unit). This is done by unplugging everything from all the ports and unplugging the imac for at least 15 seconds.

Then plug the imac in and try to start. Do you have an airport router at all? Try turning it off when you boot.

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tried it. Nope.

Since the hardware test disk does not show/acknowledge the airport card, which would supersede the safe boot, I'm still inclined to think that the airport card is damaged.

Anyone else?

James

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can someone please confirm/deny whether or not the Apple Hardware Test shows the airport card? (Preferably on an intel iMac!)

On my G3 iBook it states that there is an airport card installed, but on the intel iMac it does not mention the airport card under the communications tab.

I'm just trying to narrow things down a bit.

Thanks.

James

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What the h-e-double-hockey-sticks?

Well, I'm not too sure what's going on now. It seems to have fixed itself!

I was busily deleting a few thousand old duplicate files when I noticed that the pointer no longer had the grey striped box attached to it. This was in Safe Mode.

So, I ignored it and went on doing my chore. So, just before I was going to have lunch, I decided to restart the machine thinking that everything would be fine now that the pointer was happy.

And, when I came back the computer had loaded up into the Guest account and I switched to the other accounts and all seems to be fine. The airport is also working.

I tried the hardware test again and it did not show the airport card, so I guess that's normal.

James

1 - 9 of 9 Posts