Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I have seen a post here somewhere before,
but I have forgotten the answer. I am looking for a substitute for an Airport Basestation. I have recently picked-up an airport card for my Pismo. Anybody have any suggestions for make or model.'Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Hey there, I used a linksys wifi for a few weeks..worked very well...was'nt the extreme one it was the regular wireless...and the prices are very good now...I heard D-link was good too...someone said SMC was the last option to take though..not sure why though...Mark

·
Tritium Glow
7,141 Posts
I have an older D-Link (614+) and I'm very happy with it except that I couldn't use a Mac to upgrade the router's firmware. Luckily I also own a PC to do that. Something to think about.

Look at Asante and Netgear as well, I think Macspectrum was plugging the Asante as one with very good Mac support.

I like the Airport base because it has a USB printer port for wireless USB printing...very cool. Any of the others have that?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Spencer - I am selling an SMC barricade on the trading post that would fit your needs for $40

Biased opinion, but it is completely compatible with your airport card.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I have the SMC Barricade 54g router and have found it to be very capable (I config it using IE as I find the interface with Safari to be a bit flaky).

It even helped me fend off a DOS attack tonight. I was easily able to see why my net connection was suddenly FUBAR'd. The documentation on using the Intrusion Detection tools was pretty thin though, but by Google-ing around a bit I was able to figure out which parameter to change first. Fortunately this turned out to be the right thing to do and I got my connection back immediately.

If you have a standard Airport card then the 11b unit that jt is hawking would be all you need. After perusing a Future Shop/Best Buy flyer or two, you might even be able to talk him down a bit ;) .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts