Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How important is signal strength? Its obvious, the higher the percentage, the better, but what I'm trying to find out is, at what percentage does your connection become severally degraded, as I know at the farthest point away from the router in my house) is at a 50% signal according to my friend who had a wireless card in his laptop when he was over. The router is in a horrible spot for range, but range is not an issue for me as everything would be within 100 feet of the router.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
In my experience, the signal strength isn't too important unless you are streaming video or downloading a big file. Even then, it seems that 50% strength is OK. Once it drops to 25% things can get erratic though (web sites don't load, connections are broken, etc.).

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks jwoodget
That means my entire house is wireless able now
Though I would love to know why the signal drops from 62% to 50% in the space of 6 feet. Its just the space to walk from one couch to the other, with a wooden coffee table in between. :eek:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey Chealion,

The reason for your drop in signal may be interference. 802.11 is very susceptible to other signals. Try pointing your TV remote at the base station and hit a few buttons. Watch your signal go nuts then

The best place for the base station if you want to cover the entire house is someplace central and elevated. Away from things like the TV, microwave, cordless phones, ect.

I have mine placed in my upstairs office window ant it covers all my house and my back yard...and some of the neighbors too

I hope this helps. As for the signal strength, you can still surf the net, grab email and such with only 10%. I would recommend if you are transferring large files that the signal be at least 50-60% though...lost packets may mean lost bits of the file.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
B.

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Fifty to sixty percent strength is normal and is likely what you'll average if you're living in a suburban area, where there are plenty of interferences that affect your signal. Unless you're doing some major downloading, you'll likely not notice much of a difference. I sure don't.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Running the microwave will completely kill my wireless link. But I have an original Powerbook G4, so my link is barely there at the best of times. ;)

- Martin.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
baldwin, my tibook has no issues. Although I do know about the reported antenna downfalls, it's been cool. Just added the card to it not too long ago though...

H!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts