ehMac banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to start another thread but I need some answers.

I plan to be out of country for a couple of months. I'd like to use my iPhone strictly as an iPod and to play a few games. No phone, e-mail or web browsing.

Is it safe to assume that as long as I keep the iPhone in airplane mode there is no chance of getting a shocking bill?

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
RTFM! ;)

"When airplane mode is on, (airplane icon) appears in the status bar at the top of the screen, and no cell phone, radio, Wi-Fi, or Bluetooth signals are emitted from iPhone. You can’t make calls, send or receive text messages, stream YouTube videos, or get stock quotes, map locations, or weather reports."

·
Registered
110 Posts
It would be nice if you could leave wifi on for yourself as this would not incur additional charges if you happen to be in range of an open network (coffeeshop, etc).

I would just disable the data connection... on the older iPhones, that was a simple as putting jibberish in the EDGE connection settings.

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
... and from the latest released iPhone manual;

When airplane mode is on, appears in the status bar at the top of the screen. No phone, radio, Wi-Fi, or Bluetooth signals are emitted from iPhone and GPS reception is turned off, disabling many of iPhone’s features. You won’t be able to:

Make or receive phone calls

Get visual voicemail

Send or receive email

Browse the Internet

Sync your contacts, calendars, or bookmarks (MobileMe only) with MobileMe or Microsoft Exchange

Send or receive text messages

Stream YouTube videos

Get stock quotes

Get maps locations

Get weather reports

Purchase music or applications

·
Registered
210 Posts
to be safe

I am new to the iPhone but I think you may also want to disable data roaming. Go to general settings followed by Network. Under network, you can disable data roaming.

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RTFM! ;)

"When airplane mode is on, (airplane icon) appears in the status bar at the top of the screen, and no cell phone, radio, Wi-Fi, or Bluetooth signals are emitted from iPhone. You can’t make calls, send or receive text messages, stream YouTube videos, or get stock quotes, map locations, or weather reports."
Okay, I'm safe. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts