Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While surfing to all the sites on a PC machine using IE 5.0 which I visit at home on a daily basis via Safari, I noticed all the pop-ups that come up from many of my well-visited sites!! At home, Safari blocks 'em all and I don't even know they exist. Don't you just love Apple's new browser? :cool:

·
Registered
645 Posts
I have to agree with you on that
Apple's Safari has yet to give me one pop up ad on any site that I have visited since Safari was released. It is such a joy to surf the web and not be blogged down with pop up ads every few seconds.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I’m impressed with it as well. At work I’m on an NT network and supposedly the firewall blocks pop-ups, but it doesn’t work all the time. I still get a lot of advertising and really notice it compared to no pop-ups at home on my Ti. Surfing is much more pleasant with out pop-ups.

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
Some things that Apple gives us, we just start taking for granted.

The block pop-up is a nice feature.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Heheheh... Urban_Legend said "blogged down"

That was funny.

Oh and yes, Safari blocking pop up ads is 95% good.

Except when it spontaneously quits because a pop up freaks it out. (I've seen it happen occasionally).

Or when I really WANT to visit pr0n sites...

:cool:

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
I find it very ironic that Apple has a tool in Safari to block "annoying" pop-up ads, but then sponors all kinds of pop-up ads on MacCentral.com for .Mac and other products.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
but then sponors all kinds of pop-up ads on MacCentral.com for .Mac and other products.
Yeah, that is weird. Oh, well - maybe Apple assumes most users don't check off the "Block Pop-up Windows."

·
Registered
6 Posts
I like the browser so far but I have had Safari quit on me a couple of times but an not sure why, it maybe the pop ups but it is nice not to have to look at them fill your screen up with usless junk.

·
Left The Building
8,381 Posts
For a beta, Safari is just great. The built-in pop-up blocking is a godsend - nice to have these annoyances pre-empted by this feature.

At work on my (ugh, wince) WinXP box there are some websites that I have to visit once or twice a day, which have so many pop-ups it's unbelievable. I had to install a little freeware program designed to block 'em. What's most unnerving on the Windoze side is that some innocent-looking pop-ups on some sites do fly-by installations of spyware, or contain code that re-sets your default homepage to something else. Very sneaky, and way beyond annoying.

It's so darn nice to come home to my iMac and OS X every evening...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was mistaken, Safari is built on the KHTML engine (Konqueror if you've heard of it), not Mozilla. But Mozilla is still sweet and highly recommended on Windows :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts