Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a choice between two G4 towers:

- one that's PCI video based and the other AGP.

What should I go for? Price is about the same the both machines. Also, are these machines (Sawtooth?) as easily upgradeable as the Blue and White in terms of ZIF processors?

Thanks

·
Registered
590 Posts
If both are about the same price no decision to make at all, take the AGP. The PCI is basically a G4 built with a Blue & White logic board. The Sawtooth (AGP) is much more desireable. The other (PCI) is refered to as Yikes!

Everyone else agree?

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
AGP, definitely.

AGP gives you:

1) Processor upgrade ability up to 1.4 GHz dual G4
2) Huge varitey of graphics card upgrades
3) Faster video bus
4) and much more...

;)

·
Registered
590 Posts
4) And much more.... They don't call it a YIKES for nothing, more like YIKES! You call this a G4!!!???

The Firewire and USB ports on the Yikes! model (PCI) are shared...meaning that the bandwidth is actually half availble to the user, it's like you are plugging in two devices in one plug, the Sawtooth (AGP) versions of the motherboard have two full USB ports and actually 3 Firewire ports (on some models) 2 outside and 1 internal.

The AGP is the way to go.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
What Mhz are they?

I would go for the AGP but be aware Some early AGP Models had a problem with the motherboard... My G4 400 was one of them {Sept 2000} .

Some tech at Apple thought soldering on a resistor or something would solve a last minute glitch... it did not.

Apple was great and replaced the motherboard under warranty, no problems since...

Just check the System profiler for the Machine ID and check with apple. The repair, if needed should have already been done... but it don't hurt to check...

Only a limited number of G4s were affected since the problem was identified quickly... As I said no problems since...

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
Generally the AGP but there are some minor downsides to the AGP and upsides to the Yikes.
Basically the Yikes! was a response to how well the G4 took advantage of the G3 B&W architecture, and that :eek: applies even now.
Upgradeable ZIF - the old ZIF is worth something unlike a agp 400 processor the ZIF can bump to another G3 box.
Radeon 7000 is a cost effective upgrade card dual head while the entry for the agp is the 64 meg at $100+ more.
The Yikes tended to be very quiet as well.

Downsides.
Slower ata bus is the main one with today's drives. The agp slot speed is meaningless at that level - the agp will upgrade a bit higher but with the 100 mHz bus the gains above 800 are marginal.
If you get the agp make sure the firmware is at 4.2.8 don't do an upgrade to 4.1.9 which is floating around as you risk damage to your machine.
:(

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 7 of 7 Posts