Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be purchasing a Macbook towards the end of summer but I was hoping to get some insight and advice as to when to purchase it.

I'm going on the assumption that I'll be paying full price for it (less any rebates, coupons or Education pricing that'll be available to me at the time of purchase).

I was watching the updates of WWDC yesterday and I really like some of the features of 10.5. I also like the fact that If I buy now, I can get a "free" iPod (as I qualify for Educational pricing). I can live without having an iPod, but if I can swing a deal where I get it cheap, then all the better.

My question is this: is it better to buy the current configuration of MacBook and get the "free" iPod (I'll be waiting until closer to the end of the sale sometime in late August/September) or wait until 10.5 is released and then hopefully there'll be an updated Macbook which comes with 10.5 pre-installed?

I realize that I'll loose out on the iPod, but I think that loss might be outweighed by getting 10.5 included in the purchase price and the possibily of having a hardware refreshed MacBook.

Do you guy who are in the know think that the Macbook will be refreshed by the end of August/September? Is it worth the wait (despite loosing the iPod) for 10.5? If I buy within a month of 10.5's release, is there some kind of OS upgrade discount, or will I have to buy 10.5 at full purchase price?

Thanks, any input is appreciated.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,005 Posts
Well... I think your question comes down to: which iPod are you buying, and is the price of that iPod more or less than the price of Leopard (10.5)?

If you're getting an educational discount, that also fudges the figures. I'd say unless you're going for the iPod Shuffle, in all cases you're better off buying your MacBook with the iPod deal, and then shelling out for Leopard when it is released at your campus computer store / Apple Education Store online.

M
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
953 Posts
is it better to buy the current configuration of MacBook and get the "free" iPod (I'll be waiting until closer to the end of the sale sometime in late August/September) or wait until 10.5 is released and then hopefully there'll be an updated Macbook which comes with 10.5 pre-installed?
What do you need?

A new computer? - it seems so.
A new iPod?
A better computer than the ones currently on offer?
A better operating system than the one shipping with current Macs?

Answer those questions and maybe you will have your answer.

Personal opinion: my experience is that Apple's current computers function extremely well - they are more affordable than ever - and there is tons of useable power afforded by great software, multiple processors, GBs of RAM and large HDs. Should you wait for Leopard? Only if you can afford to be without the seemingly necessary computer until Leopard shows up sometime in the future.

Another opinion: most experienced computer buyers will say "the best time to buy a new computer is when you need a new computer". But I say the best time to buy a computer is NOT "when you need it". The best time to buy a computer is BEFORE you need it so that it is all set up and ready to go - and you are familiar with it - "when you need it".

Well, you asked...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,234 Posts
Hi,

When we bought our iBook for school we didn't order until September. We got the iPod deal but the laptops at the time didn't include the $100 Airport card so we ordered the card as well. It took about three weeks to get the iBook delivered, and to the day of delivery an updated iBook was released for $100 less AND the Airport card was included. The new iBook was faster and, in total, $200 cheaper than what we paid. "But we got the iPod for free" I proudly announced, until the iPos died shortly after the warranty expired.

The point of my story? Nothing much, I just felt like a rant.

No, no. The point was that a free iPod didn't mean that much to me. I bought the Mac for the software and I knew that the OS at the time was current and would continue to be current for some time. The iPod is quitely leaking mercury in some landfill right now, but the iBook has been instrumental in my girlfriend obtaining her degree (as soon as she finishes writing those final papers). If I was in the same situation today I wouldn't buy a laptop for school until Leopard is released as I would want the latest OS over an MP3 player any day. Use the computer labs for the first weeks of class. Heck, I didn't even own a computer when I went to school as the labs were good enough.

That's just me though. :yawn:

s.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,415 Posts
The iPod rebate is up to $229 CAD.

The cost of Leopard will be ~$149 (or less depending on Educational Discount.

The iPods rebate is a better deal -- but the MacBooks will be updated probably around October/November to co-incide with Leopard. That being said, I'm using an "old" MacBook -- and it's still screaming fast.

Buy when you need (or right before) not when you want. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for everyone's input.

My situation is such that I have a 4 year old Dell laptop that's on it's dying days. I'm not destitute yet, so even if I don't have a laptop on me for a month (or a couple of months) I'll be okay. I can use my wife's laptop should I need to, and I even have an old functioning POS PC that I've kept pretty much to show my future kids what I had to use when I was growing up.

That said, getting a MacBook will be more of a "let's try something new" for me. I use UNIX/Linux all day at work, but Solaris 8/Redhat 9 is ass compared to OS X from what I can see.

My only issue with the whole "free" iPod vs. possible hardware upgrade and Leopard thing is this; since i'm not constraint by time which one is the better option? On one hand, I can get good current hardware + an iPod which my wife will ultimately use versus waiting until Leopard is out and maybe getting a hardware upgrade.

Since it's only a MacBook we're talking about, I'm sure the hardware upgrades won't be something resplendent but at least I won't be a generation behind. But, seeing as I paid top dollar for my current Dell and it's already lasted me 4 years, I'm not sure if paying for the cutting edge is worth it and I'll get a free iPod to boot.

I'm going on the assumption that a new hardware upgraded MacBook won't be much more expensive than it's current counterpart - so realistically, the only difference is the ~ $200 discount (after taking into account the tax i'd have to pay on top of the discount) vs. the $149 price of leopard.

Is it very likely that the MacBooks will be upgraded by Leopard time? I'm just afraid of starting off from behind :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
438 Posts
hey man,

I was in your exact same position worrying if something new would hit by October.....

Long story short, my MacBook will be here tomorrow. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
I would get the iPod and Macbook now, then upgrade to Leopard in October.
If you start school in September, it is nice to have the computer before then as opposed to starting the year with your Dell then switching over a month in.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,415 Posts
Or... you could avoid this problem all together and get a refurb MacBook right now for ~$1000 ish and get a deal rather than a free iPod (and then upgrade to Leopard later on down the line in October).

It sounds like you want the "newest and best" so far, so I assume you'll end up waiting for the next MacBook release sometime in Octoberish (even though I find buying *behind* the curve much more economical).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,327 Posts
The iPods rebate is a better deal -- but the MacBooks will be updated probably around October/November to co-incide with Leopard. That being said, I'm using an "old" MacBook -- and it's still screaming fast.
Personally, I don't see another revision until the new year. Besides, where can they go without treading on the MBP's specs?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,579 Posts
That said, getting a MacBook will be more of a "let's try something new" for me. I use UNIX/Linux all day at work, but Solaris 8/Redhat 9 is ass compared to OS X from what I can see.
Not to start a flame war, but that's not really a fair comparison, is it? Redhat 9 is 4 years old. These might be more appropriate:

64 Studio
Fedora Core 7
Ubuntu 7.04 (Feisty Fawn)
Open SUSE 10.2
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Is it very likely that the MacBooks will be upgraded by Leopard time? I'm just afraid of starting off from behind :(
Not likely! MacBooks just got an upgrade, then MBP. Next will be the iMac. I wouldn't hold my breath for another MacBook upgrade until next Spring.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not to start a flame war, but that's not really a fair comparison, is it? Redhat 9 is 4 years old. These might be more appropriate:

64 Studio
Fedora Core 7
Ubuntu 7.04 (Feisty Fawn)
Open SUSE 10.2
I understand that they're old OSes, but that what they give me at work, so I'm not to question :)

We have some Vista boxes as well as an Mac Mini, but I don't have access to those systems - I can only look from afar and steal some time when the guy using them goes for lunch or to take a leak.

Thanks for all your replies. I think i'll be purchasing my MacBook towards the end of September. Now my dilema is do I want to buy with Educational discount and iPod or from the refurbished section.

If one buys a refurbished MacBook, does it come all scratched up and pre-loved?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,415 Posts
Personally, I don't see another revision until the new year. Besides, where can they go without treading on the MBP's specs?
They can go Santa Rosa and LED, just like the MBPs. The only spec difference for a while (Before last week's MBP upgrade) was the Screen Size and Graphics Card -- those seem to be the two differentiating factors that Apple wants to leverage.

Besides, there'll be a Santa Rosa "refresh" in late 2007 where the chips will get better again -- and the MB would really benefit from Santa Rosa's integrated graphics instead of the GMA 950 in them now.

MB Update either before school starts (less likely) or in Late October or Early November, I'd almost be willing to put money on it. ;)

Thanks for all your replies. I think i'll be purchasing my MacBook towards the end of September. Now my dilema is do I want to buy with Educational discount and iPod or from the refurbished section.

If one buys a refurbished MacBook, does it come all scratched up and pre-loved?
Nope -- other than coming in a Brown Box instead of the nice Apple retail box, it will look brand new, and may have some surprise upgrades in it too (some people have reported surprises like extra RAM or bigger HD).

You could probably buy a refurb MacBook and a refurb iPod and still save money ;) Refurb 4 Gig Nanos (in all colours except for Red) at $145 right now. Killer deal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was doing some quick figurin' and if I buy a refurb unit and an refurb iPod, it's cheaper than their current deal. If I wait until October for Leopard + possible SR updates, how quickly will the updated MacBooks hit the refurb shelves? I'm not too concerned with paying $100 or $200 extra, but I just hate buying something now only to have it become a geriatric unit in a couple of months.

That's what happened when I bought my Dell laptop. I bought into the P4 3GHz on a laptop hype, and 3 weeks later Centrino came out and my laptop dropped in value like a big, heavy stone. I had to hang onto it for 4 years just to justify spending so much for being on the blunt end of cutting edge.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What else should be purchased at or around the same time as the MacBook? Is there any additional software/hardware that you all would recommend purchasing? I think i'm going to wait for a year before buying AppleCare unless someone tells me otherwise. I don't know if I want to shell out $100 for Parallels, I don't really use Windows for anything that I don't think i'd be able to do on OS X.

Suggestions?
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top