Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

OK, I dunno what to do. I have a G3/600 iMac which I bought about 1.5 years ago. It is my first Mac and I've loved it compeletly until recently. First, a few months ago, my hard drive just died one day. That was no big deal, just got another and replaced it-- although I had to pay the local Mac store to install it. Oh well.

Then the real problem-- my slot-loading CD-RW died. I was pissed but just figured I'd buy another. OH NO, if only it were that easy. I cannot buy another one, and even if I could score one on Ebay, to buy it and install it would cost my easy $250 cdn, maybe more I was told.

As the fricken machine is only worth around $500 or so, I offered it to a Mac store here in Ottawa for a trade on a newer machine. They offered me-- wait for it-- $50 for my computer!! I paid $1600 for it originally, and have upgraded the RAM (768 M) and HD (80 Gig). $50 my butt.

So what should I do? Get an external CD-RW for $150 or so? Try and sell it privately, get what I can and shell out another $1600? Any ideas? Please help.

Cheers,
Snubnose

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
As the fricken machine is only worth around $500 or so, I offered it to a Mac store here in Ottawa for a trade on a newer machine. They offered me-- wait for it-- $50 for my computer!! I paid $1600 for it originally, and have upgraded the RAM (768 M) and HD (80 Gig). $50 my butt.
LOL

Resellers are a joke when trying to sell your machine to them. They buy it from you cheaply so they can patch it up and sell it for $600 more than they bought it from you. What a joke. Just because your CD-RW is broken does not drop its value to $50.00.

So what should I do? Get an external CD-RW for $150 or so? Try and sell it privately, get what I can and shell out another $1600? Any ideas? Please help.
If you need a slot-loading CD-ROM, may be be selling mine (it's just a plain CD-ROM), but yeah, I would recommend buying an external FireWire CD-RW drive if you really need the CD-burning ability. Otherwise you can get a plain CD-ROM or DVD-ROM slot-loading drive for under $70.00 CDN pre-owned.

I'd say keep the machine-- it has lots of life left in it and is a very nice machine.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hey -

First of all, identify the CAUSE of the failure. Loose connections can occur on semi-portable machines if they are moved around a lot in real life.

I've seen used FW CDRW's going for $50 lately.

Lars is right, it is still a nice machine.

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
Sorry, gotta highjack your thread for a minute.

Resellers are a joke when trying to sell your machine to them. They buy it from you cheaply so they can patch it up and sell it for $600 more than they bought it from you. What a joke. Just because your CD-RW is broken does not drop its value to $50.00.
I have to take offense to this. I do agree $50.00 is a little low but not by much. Look at the numbers that have been posted. If the iMac is worth $600.00 retail and it is going to cost $250.00 to repair it, that leaves $350.00. Keep in mind that was the best price off eBay he found. Now factor in the time to install it. It will take about 1 - 1 1/2 hours to install the new drive, clean up the system so it looks pretty and load a fresh system. Next we have to test the system to make sure everything else on the systems works. How much is your time worth? Lastly we have to warranty it.
If we fix it, sell it and 30 days later the logic board dies, can we go back to you and get our money back? It is a BIG risk buying and selling used equipment let alone used equipment that already has problems! One dead logic board could very easily wipeout the profit of 5 sales.

I hope this explains where the $50.00 trade in comes from.
Also keep in mind when trading in, you only pay tax on the difference. In this case, the tax saved on $50.00 is not much but in Ontario, every $100 trade in actually gets you $115.00.

Okay, done with my rant. An External drive is the cheapest option to get you back up and running. Can you make use of a DVD-RW? If you want to get more functionality out of your system, that's a good way. If you have the extra cash, grab one of them and wait till you find someone that has an iMac with dead logic board or something and maybe you can get a deal on the internal CD, DVD or CDRW. Then you can make the decision to keep the DVD-RW you bought or deal it off to keep your costs down.

Hope this makes sense to you. Sorry you had troubles.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, sorry to cause offense. I really didn't mean to imply that anyone was gonna be making a mint at my expense though.

But if you want me to be more understanding of the costs incurred during this process for the dealer, then dealers have to understand the math from my end:

$1600+$300 in upgrades + 1.5 years = $50?

OUCH! It is no one's fault though, this is just the computer industry I guess. I guess I'll just look into the Ext FW option, although I gather iTunes and none of the awesome stuff I loved about OS X works directly with them. Bummer.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Digital_Gary: I hear you loud and clear, and your explanation makes perfect sense; I didn't mean to cause any offense to you. I've just had some lousy offers from resellers on my iMac as well, so that's where my rant came from, I guess.
It's just why bring your Mac to a reseller, when you get much more for it by selling it personally?

although I gather iTunes and none of the awesome stuff I loved about OS X works directly with them. Bummer.
Most FireWire external drives will actually work quite well with Toast.

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
Ext FW Lacie burners support Mac OS X burning and iTunes.
They are going for about $200.00
Not cheep but you don't leave any great OS X apps behind.

What do you think you iMac is worth?

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
I didn't take offense to your comments

I understand your frustrations. I have been in your shoes before so I know how you feel. Believe me, we (resellers) get no pleasure in being the one who has to deliver the bad news. Keep in mind though that the reason your iMac has dropped in value so much has nothing to do with the dead CDRW. The computer lost most of it's value through product revisions. There are so many different iMacs and eMacs, 1 year old systems drop in value faster than cars.
No matter what system you buy, it is going to be that way unfortunately.

I hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I'm sure you could sell it as is privately and do much better. $50.00 come on. If the dealer was to part it out he would make a killing. There are many DIY people that would scoop your machine up and have it like new for just a few $.

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
Thanks Lars.

Selling it privately would definitely get you more. Some people don't like dealing with the hassles though. It is more worth it to some to take the hit on the trade in so they don't have to waste their time selling it on their own.

Like yoyo said, parting it out will get you the most $$$
Problem with that is, unless you have the money to buy a new one, you are going to be without a computer until you find buyers.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Selling or 'trading' in your equipment to a retail store is just about the dumbest thing you can do! You can do all the 'math' you want. You buy his machine for $50.00 and pop a drive in it and stick it on the floor for $600.00. I've seen 233 imacs going for $499.00 at retail stores. A G4-400 for $949.00?? Give me a break!

Trade-ins and upgrade equipment is the biggest money maker there is as far as hardware sales go in a computer store that sells used stuff.

I'll give you a perfect case, I offered to trade in a LaCie Electron19Blue III bought new just over a year ago towards a new 12" PB. Wanna guess what the idiot wanted to give me for it?? $75.00!! That monitor would have been on the floor for $500.00 at least. With 2 years left on the warranty.

Sell your stuff privately or on a forum such as this one, or keep it. I have nothing against people making money, but what pisses me off is when 'stores' tell you, 'oh, we are taking a risk buying this and we have to service it and it's old technology, blah blah blah.' If they were fair about it then fine, but most aren't. They see it as a way to make a huge profit. If you say you don't you're full of crap. If you take offense to anything I've written here, oh well. ;)

(And in case you think I'm just venting here, I have a friend that has owned his own store for 6 years. He makes a killing on used machines and I always give him grief about hosing people.)

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
I don't want to start an argument here. I just wanted to show why trade ins work that way. Until you have to replace a logic board for someone out of your pocket, I guess you can't understand.

In your case, I would have slapped the guy silly if he offered me $75.00 for a Blue 19. They were trying to rip you off.

That said, there is a big difference between a 19" monitor with 2 years warranty left and an iMac that's out of warranty with a dead CDRW :cool:

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
And no argument should be had DG - that was a good a clear point which you made. Just like trading a car in. Some care about the $$ they will lose in dealership trade in - others do not.

So you have issues with the resale $$ of the iMac?? Dude, that was wrap when they annouce the new iMacs let alone now! I was there erery step of the way - as I watch my Indigo just drop in value by the minute. Guess what?? I too paid a small mint in comparison to it's worth now, and that's why I still have it. I came close to selling it for $1.2K earlier this year (that's right. Financial co wanted one badly
but got cold feet. damn!) You should look into getting the optical drive yourself and installing it - yourself - that's half the fun! At this point, the most that you may get is a few hundred bux, so why not just keep it?? I might package mine and give it away @ Xmas. Bound to make someone happy! Anyhow, is this not a legendary computer @ this point?? Be proud that you were part of a revolution!

ps - if I come across a optical for the iMac, I'll make sure to hit you up.

H!

·
Registered
273 Posts
There is no way you should sell your iMac for 50.00. Sell it privately or buy an external firewire burner.

Sell your computer system before it become little better than a door stop...value wise. 6 months from now your iMac will be worth a few hundred dollars. Any mac that has come out in the last 3 years is a great tool for work or play, but if you own a system too long you can watch it's value drop like the Canadian dollar...oops...used to. In last 3 years I tend to trade in every 9 to 10 months. Gets me the latest and greatest Apple computer and I didn't waste too much money. I also don't have to repace any parts and I always have a warranty and I don't waste money on the 3 year extended warranty as I don't need it. I've made too many mistakes in the past.

I owned an 8100 powermac (manufactured in 1994) that I spent way too much on repairs.
8100 - 3000.00
ram - 1200.00
video card replacement - [email protected]=800.00
cd drive replacement - 200.00
hard drive replacement - [email protected]=1200.00
Equals = DOOR STOP/PAPER WEIGHT
I invetsed 6800.00 in a compuer that can barely surf the internet today. If I had sold the 8100 within the first year I owned it I would have got some trade in value (private or store) and not replaced the hard drives, cd drive or video cards as they failed a couple of years after purchase.

I just traded in my 10 month old G4 dual 867 MDD for a G5 1.6
G4 dual with 1.72 ram/2x80 gig drives/combo drive
G5 with 1.25 gigs ram/2x160 gig drives/cd-dvd burner
Paid little over 1300.00 plus trading the G4 dual 867. I needed more hard drive space and a DVD burner any ways. When I added up the cost for those 2 items alone it made even more sense to upgrade my whole system.
With the G5 I now have more horse power, more hard drive space and a DVD burner. And I now know from first hand experience that the G5 is waaaaayyy faster than my old G4 dual 867 MDD. Except when running Adobe applications. Adobe apps are still faster on the high end dual G4 MDDs.

I'm probably not the average mac user who can get years of productivity out of a mac. I'm greedy for speed as every new mac that comes out means I can get more done in a day. I remember After Effects renders taking days, now only take hours or less!

It really sucks that computers drop in value so fast. When new more powerful computers are shipping every 6 months or so it really drives the value of slightly used macs way down.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts