Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there,

I am looking for a audio recording device to use with a iBook. I am wanting to record at least 2 channels (more would be nice).

Currently I am thinking of the PowerMate by Griffin and Onkyo's USB one.

If anyone out there has experience with either one, input would be appriciated.

Or if anyone has another device to recommend. I am wanting the best quailty (both sound and build), but like everyone I am on a budget. My major needs are just RCA's in and out, althought XLR would be nice.

Any input is appricated.

Thanks

·
Registered
36 Posts
Nick,

If you are looking for USB audio, I have done comparison tests between all the M-Audio and Edirol (Roland) products. I would suggest the Edirol UA-1A for RCA, 16bit digital i/o or the UA-20 for 1/4 in, optical & RCA outs (also includes headphone monitoring). The edirol UA-5 is my favourite pick for quality, 2-in XLR (with phantom power). You can check the full specs at www.edirol.com .

To compare, the MobilePre by M-Audio has the same features as the UA-5 but at half the price. Unfortunately I found the pre-amps to be really low quality in this one. As well the plastic casing just seems cheap in comparison. But, if budget is the guiding factor and you need XLR ins this is a good option.

At any rate, my opinion is if you go with something taking XLR ins - make sure it has phantom power. Too many people come in asking how they can cheaply add quality phantom power to an existing XLR device. It's not worth it when there are quality XLR devices out there with phantom.

Both Edirol and M-Audio have nice Mac integration.

That's my two cents!

Jason

1 - 2 of 2 Posts