Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of an 800 MHz processor upgrade for my G4 450 Sawtooth. The best deal I've seen so far is at Mac Liquidators - FastMac brand for $379.90 CDN. All the American places, Sonnet, OWC etc. have nice 800 MHz upgrades too, but their prices are higher than this, even before the border crossing crap. Am I missing a better deal somewhere? Anyone have any comments?

Cheers :-> Bill

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Hey Gerbill,
I have been toying with the same idea.
My searches have this as the lowest price on the 800mhz upgrade. Its a store at the north end of Toronto. Nice people to deal with.

http://www.accurate-tech.com/upgrades.html

You might also check out video cards. That will also speed up your system. Macdoc has a combo vid card/proc card deal for a good price. In the green area of his site.

Hope this helps,
Robert

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, robert, I have a video upgrade already (ATI Radeon 8500) and I agreee that it's essential. A 7200 rpm drive also helps. I'm kind of leaning toward getting a Sonnet ujpgrade from this end of the country, although it involves paying more.

Cheers :-> Bill

·
Premium Member
30,889 Posts
One thing we like is that Apple has addressed speed across the board in the G5s.

The same thinking is really important for upgrades ( which is why we bundle ).

Video and drive upgrades are very cheap bangs for the dollar and optimize the 100 mHz architecture to it's fullest and for the cheapest price. RPM is meaningless these days - the drive cache is the most important aspect for speed.

Once those two aspects are done the processor is next and bear inmind machines are designed in the 8:1 range and it's the best speed for the dollar to stay in that range. Just like drives cache is king so stick with those having big caches.

Doing processor without addressing video and drive is likely to result in disappointment.

I did all three on my Cube 450 and loved the result. Then I needed an 800 Cube upgrade and went back to the 450 1 meg cache.
Really not a huge difference - it was the drive and video that really were cheap thrills.

Taht of course applies to day to day computing - if you are doing heavy lifting then a big processor really helps but perhaps a trade to dual would be advised as the bandwidth is opened up for heavy work.

I AM glad to see cheaper agp upgrades - especially for 350 and 400 owners.

450, 500, 466 and 533 chips with 1 meg caches and the right drive, RAM and video still are very respectable and snappy machines - and they are quiet.

BTW there are dual 450 and dual 500 processors around in the same range as a single 800 and for some uses this is a better route as the individual 7400 chips with 1 meg caches on the L2 level do more work per clock cycle than the 7410 and 7450 chips with the L3 caches.

But clock = snap on the desktop - tho X sure loves duals.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
107 Posts
I picked up a G4 800 MHz upgrade from Accurate Technologies for my G4 AGP Tower. Called on Friday and they had it ready for pickup this morning. Nice, friendly service. Ordered the same for my G4 Cube while I was there. Now to pay for these two extravagances by selling off some of my PC stuff...

;)

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got an 800 MHz upgrade from The Mac Liquidators. Ordered online Friday, they drop-shipped from the manufacturer and I got it this morning! Fast. Installing was ultra-simple. Very noticeable difference in speed. Raised the XBench score from 55.02 to 78.51.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts