Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a soon to be switcher (yé!), I just need to find a place where they sell at educational price and which have the setup I want (not many school coop in montreal with stocks of macs...).

Anyways, I was thiking about the single (or dual) 1.25Ghz with superdrive. I know that the 80gig hard drive wont be enough for me and that I will need to upgrade it asap. Should I upgrade the HD right from apple to 160gig for 178$ or should I just buy another HD? It seems to me that the 178$ is a high price, no?

Also, does the OS make use of the dual processor or is it only used with specific applications?

Finaly, I know that you can install a pioneer DVD burner which is supposed to be the same as the one sold by apple under the name 'superdrive', how much is it? Is it totaly compatible with all the applications?

Thats it!
thanks.

·
Registered
719 Posts
1) phone around and see what prices are out there for a ATA 100 drive. Although Apple's are a 2 meg cache, look for an 8 meg cache.

2) get the dual processor

3) DVD burner, again, shop around. I'm not in your market, so telling you to go down the street would be a worthless excercise for you.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
I can answer some of your questions:

SuperDrive question - Yes, if you purchase a Pinoneer A06 or the A05 which have been on sale off and on it will work as if you got the Apple OEM SuperDrive. (The A05 is $300 at FutureShop)

Hard Drive - You can always buy another hard drive and put it into your machine. The MDD can hold up to 4 drives. And I don't think $ 178 is too much. (A 120 GB drive is $300 at FutureShop, so you could go either way).

Dual Processor - The OS does make use of a dual processor system if available. Some apps do, but they need to have been coded to include dual processor usability.

Hope this helps.

Britnell - You beat me to finishing this post

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Sounds like someone wants to do video on a Mac. ;)

Go dual processor.

Put in your own drive with a 8MB cache.

As for the new Superdrive. I recently read about the particular point on your IDE ribbon that the drive must be on to be seen by iDVD. I CAN'T find the URL, despite it being one I surely would have bookmarked! :(

A Google search came up with these resources:

Installing a Superdrive, step by step, with pics:
http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/install_superdrive_g4.html

Another guide -- but, for older Macs. there are other resources listed at the bottom of the page, however:
http://xlr8yourmac.com/G3-ZONE/hival52x/install.html

A Macintouch forum on this. Do a text search for the term, "iDVD" to start looking through the pertinent posts:
http://www3.macintouch.com/2002powermac05.html

HTH

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hi Mantat

In Montréal, try Coop UQUAM on Sainte-Catherine Est and also the coop at Université de Montréal sur Jean-Durant.

Bienvenue comme membre de ce site.

Macfriend

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts