Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Unreasonably Happy Man
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to make the leap back to Mac after many years using PCs. I have heard that (as it used to be), buying things like memory and external backup drives (I'm going to buy an iMac) from Apple is unnecessary and expensive. Can I use 3rd party without being concerned about performance and/or warrantee violation? If so, what would ppl recommend for backup drives and/or memory?
Thanks for any help...I love this site the ppl are great and the support is wonderful.
/michael

·
Registered
928 Posts
Hi Micheal,

Where are you located? If you are in the GTA (actually I sure he ships but I like to buy locally) go to the Macdoc.com site his memory and externals are reasonable and he can sell you the iMac with the extra memory already installed.

John

·
Premium Member
31,505 Posts
Hmmph "reasonable" ...damned with faint praise ;)
Such Shakespearan diplomacy......

••

Thanks for the good words JL.

·
Premium Member
3,176 Posts
Hmmph "reasonable" ...damned with faint praise
My English Lit prof would have said “..not too unreasonable”. :D ;)

·
Registered
737 Posts
I ordered my RAM from Canadaram, and I've been very happy with the price and service. It was delivered within 1 or 2 days, and the RAM is guarantee with the Macs.
For hard drives, any local low cost PC store will provide you what you're looking for, unless you're looking for a specific case.
Good luck with your purchase.

·
Premium Member
31,505 Posts
Trevors great - but I'd be cautious on cases - not all created equal. Oxford 911 is important and some drives run much hotter than others.
Suggest Seagate in externals.

·
Unreasonably Happy Man
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not faint praise....

I've been running IT depts for more years than I care to admit, so I have to say that I am always somewhat cautious in my early relationships.
That said, I've been emailing back and forth with Macdoc and he is being both patient and helpful.
....and not too unreasonable ;>)
/michael

·
Registered
208 Posts
If so, what would ppl recommend for backup drives and/or memory?
For an external backup drive, I think your best bet is a Seagate FreeAgent Pro. Goto Dell.ca and do a search. They have a crazy deal on their 750 GB w/ FireWire 400 / USB 2.0 / eSATA (even includes the cables!). Only $259 with a 5 year warranty and I believe free shipping. Occasionally, Futureshop and Best Buy have these on sale.

For RAM, if you know exactly the make and model you want, you can get great prices from Canada Computers. I bought RAM for my previously G4 Mac Mini and iMac C2D (both, which I've subsequently sold). I've never had problems with any of them. Again, do the research to ensure the RAM will work in your Mac before buying. Other than that, I've heard great things about CanadaRAM and even NCIX. Definitely shop around.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.