Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice on what not-so-pricy, but at the same time, good quality digital camera (FireWire) are good to get. Not looking to spend more than $1000.00. This won't be for a while, but plan on owning one later on in life. ;)

Suggestions, comments, would be great.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Lars wrote:
I need some advice on what not-so-pricy, but at the same time, good quality digital camera (FireWire) are good to get.

I'm a bit confused; are you looking for a digital still camera, or a digital video camera? I think most, if not all, digital still cameras only offer USB connectivity (while most digital video cameras offer FireWire connectivity).

·
R.I.P. Marc - 01/29/2022
117,654 Posts
Lars, jfpoole is right, in that video has the need for Firewire, but a digital camera for photographs utilizes (usually) USB.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I'm a big fan of the Canon Powershot digital cameras. The S30 and S45 are both good cameras and come in under 1000CDN. There's also the S230 which has a smaller form factor than both the S30 and S45, if you're looking for something you can put in your shirt pocket. Finally, there's the G2, which has all sorts of bells and whistles (Canon classifies it as a "prosumer" camera), but it's 1000CDN on the nose.

I guess the big question is what do you want to do with your camera?

·
Registered
216 Posts
I agree that the Power Shot camera's are in my opinion some of the best digital camera's for picture quality and also build quality.

I have the S40 and i hav ehad comments from photographers about the image quality.

There is an S30 for sale in the trading post I believe it is an excellent camera.

Parousia

·
Registered
78 Posts
Lars,

Since you are not in a big hurry to purchase, you may find the following link to Steve's Digicams of great value in learning about digital cameras. It is one of the most active and "meaty" sites on this subject. Let your needs and pocketbook be your guide, and purchase from a reputable knowledgeable store.
http://www.steves-digicams.com/

One more point, the longer you wait, the more value you will get for your money. The models seem to be discontinued within 6 months. It is new technology so has yet to settle down.

·
Premium Member
5,246 Posts
Since the US photo industry trade show was just earlier this week, expect a confusing choice. Older models, most of which are quite competent, will be discounted to make way for the new in the next coming weeks.

It's probably a good time to buy (assuming you don't need it yesterday) but a bad time to choose. If you're not in a hurry, you may find you can get everything you want and need in 3 or 6 months for way less than $1000, because digicams are now firmly in the "consumer" category and are selling quite well today. Prices are falling while features are improving.

A thou will buy one fine camera today. Depending on how close to your budget you want to get, look for a 4 or 5 Megapixel model from the usual suspects; you should be able to get good models below your budget if you're willing to settle for 3 to 4 Mpixels.

Cameras of this capacity are overkill for the web and good for 8x10 prints from a decent inkjet. The 3MP models will show some quality differences with 8x10 prints versus the 4 and up models, but most people report they are happy with the quality. If you plan to only print 4x6 or 5x7 prints, any camera of 3MP or better will do very nicely. DM suggested 2MP but a 3MP model will easily squeeze into your budget. This chart shows what size of print you can expect to get with good results and varous MP sensors. I'm a bit fussier than the chart, but most people would be happy following it.

A nice thing about the bigger MP cameras is you get to choose the quality when you take your shots. With a 128MB card at maximum quality (5 MP RAW or TIFF format, 2560x1920 pixels, uncompressed 17 MB) I can take about 8 photos; by dropping the resolution to 3 MP I can up that to 12, and by choosing Fine (4:1) JPEG compression at 3MP I can record 52. If the picture was destined for the web, I could take them at 1600x1200 and get 20 RAW images or almost 300 at Normal JPEG compression.

If you click on my weblink (the little house icon), you will go to a page with photos I took at 3MP and Fine JPEG compression. When I prepared them for the web they were reduced to 800x600 and compressed about 8x. If I planned to only use the photos on the web, I could have stored about 800 such photos on the camera's memory card.

Spend no money and no attention on digital zoom; it is truly useless. Get a good optical zoom if you can, and only compare the optical zoom when choosing a camera. Did I mention digital zoom is useless? Well, it's useless.

You might end up happier if you save about $250 of your budget for a USB card reader ($30-60), a spare battery (varies, mine cost $65), and an extra card of whatever kind your chosen camera takes. A good choice is a 128MB card which can be had for about $120 or less. For about $130 you can buy Firewire card readers today, which should make downloading photos nearly instantaneous.

In general, people on this forum like Canon, some are fond of Sony, and I'm a fan of Nikon.

Ask if you can bop around the store and snap a photo or two and get them to print a sample. Naturally, this rules out shopping at places like Future Shop, which is a good habit to break anyway.

There are two new technologies that will be in everybody's cameras within 2 to 3 years: new image sensors (Foveon) that will nearly triple image quality, and LED based displays that are bright and easy to see in both dim light and sunlight. Both are available today, but in very limited models. Sigma has sold a Foveon chip camera for about a year (they are not well known outside pro photo circles, but are are well known to the industry) and it's expensive, way out of your or my budget. That will change, though.

Kodak has announced a new consumer digicam (Easyshare LS633) with the LED driven display this week, it will be priced at US 399 ( $C 600) and includes a 3x optical zoom, the OLED display, and a 3MP class image sensor. Won't be in stores for a month or two, but as you can see you can get a lot of camera for that kind of money today.

Foveon Sensor
Sigma SD9

Oh, and finally: Digital Zoom is useless.

·
Registered
656 Posts
i too suggest canon. this is the stuff that i sell the most at work. the powershot s40 is now discontinued and is now replaced by the s45. but if you're not an amateur photographer and have no desire to manually adjust the aperture and shutter speeds, a big part of the s30/40/45 cameras will be of no use to you, thus being a waste of money. that being said, canon just released specs on their new line, including the s50. slick.

they have the canon digital elph s200 or the s230 ($449/$599) that won't have the manual features, but feature awesome point-and-shoot capabilities. they're 2 and 3 megapixels respectively. (you gotta try the 9-point auto focus on the s230-- really cool)

if your'e only planning on printing 4x6 or 5x7, stick with a 2 MP camera. that's all you're gonna need.

there's also this really cool camera we got, the olympus c-50. tiny (but not as tiny as the canon digital elph series) but really powerful: 5 MP, with manual/auto modes and 3x optical zoom. that means at full resolution, you can crop someone's face, then blow it up to about an 8x10 with no discernable loss in image quality. really sexy, just like the elph. it's $899.

·
Registered
656 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gordguide:
Naturally, this rules out shopping at places like Future Shop, which is a good habit to break anyway.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ouch. that's where i work, man. and contrary to popular beliefs, there are quite a few apple guys that work there, myself being one of them. i've got a manager that's an apple product professional like myself, and i work with a former apple technician, as well as at least 3 other switchers in various departments.

as for printing out pics you've taken, we have an inkjet printer set up at our camera kiosk so that we can show you how your pics look. clearly, you have not been in a futureshop in some time. if you haven't been to my work (which apparently is a bad habit) then don't knock it.

·
R.I.P. Marc - 01/29/2022
117,654 Posts
daycus maximus, I too know someone who is working at Future Shop and is up on the modern Mac systems. While they don't sell Macs in the St.John's Future Shop, they do sell the printers and such that may or may not be utilized with a Mac.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
deal? Maybe. Not been that fond of the p31-51-71. They're the affordable version of the p5-9. They're hella bulky, and that's my biggest annoyance. Bulky cams are not fun. Take it from the owner of a S70. Great digi, but I might as well be carrying a small purse - anf I hate wallets. But @ $300? a 2MP? Yeah - that's cool.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bjornbro:
There's one helluva deal on right now at the trading post. ;)

(I swear, gordguide impressed me again! Is there anything he doesn't know?)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
I love the Canon line as well. Although I have yet to use one, I will say they offer lots of the specs I need. They will get my money next. They also have an S50 now, so that is one to also keep in mind. With a ceiling of $1000, you'll have plenty to pick from. I do think that I will get the S230, Size, size, size. ... That's my thing, It's the classic Digi Elf, with the brut strength of a 3 MP. They also have a S400. A 4MP in the size of an Elf. That is out of this world. So Lars, lots to pick from. I would keep it in the Canon/Sony family.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jfpoole:
I'm a big fan of the Canon Powershot digital cameras. The S30 and S45 are both good cameras and come in under 1000CDN. There's also the S230 which has a smaller form factor than both the S30 and S45, if you're looking for something you can put in your shirt pocket. Finally, there's the G2, which has all sorts of bells and whistles (Canon classifies it as a "prosumer" camera), but it's 1000CDN on the nose.

I guess the big question is what do you want to do with your camera?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Premium Member
5,246 Posts
" ... if you haven't been to my work (which apparently is a bad habit) then don't knock it. ..."

Thanks for the info; I will stop painting every Future Shop store with the same brush.

However, I cannot recommend the Saskatoon location. I gave them plenty of chances and thousands of dollars. I could forgive them for my bad Mac experiences, but not everything I bought from them had anything to do with Macs or even computers, and my experience is not really any different from others I've talked to.

My biggest complaint actually has to do with checkout, which has never (not once) gone without some seemingly random problem, even when paying cash. They seem incapeable of identifying me with anything other than a local telephone number (which is not in my name) and therefore insist someone else bought everything I've paid for. I once spent over an hour trying to make a pre-arranged large computer purchase, simply convincing them that a bank draft was not something I printed in my basement. I could go on (that's hardly the only problem, but it is consistent). The sales staff seem to be perpetual trainees, always a new face, which is a clear indicator of high staff turnover and bad management.

So, I promise to tell others to go check out your local Future Shop and see for yourself. Your experiences may well be much better than mine.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,140 Posts
We are not worthy to be GordGuidees.....

To reiterate his points, I would consider the extras as practical necessities and budget for them. MegaPixel size is not everything unless you really want to print at large dimensions (which costs a fortune). 3-4 MP is the current sweet spot, up from 2-3 a year ago. The Canon range are excellent, as has been previously noted. I have an S30 and love the qualirty of the photos (better than my sons Nikon CoolPix885 which he got at a bargain price from Apple). It has the following weaknesses:

Battery has to be removed to be recharged. This means its best to have two batteries.

Battery level is not shown - only when its getting low. Another reason to have a spare.

Menu operation is not always intuitive. Canon has minimized the options and this can lead to problems if you haven't set things correctly.

All said though, the Powershot range is well worth a gander and the prices have bottomed out.

You can get Firewire digital still cameras. But not for $1000

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.