Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone offer any advice about an external SCSI-2 Yamaha CD-RW drive?

Details can be found at . . .
Yamaha CRW6416 SERIES

Someone is willing to sell a used one to me.
What might be a fair price for this CD-RW drive?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I have it's younger (older?) brother, the 4416 and it worked well. However, with my new G4, I haven't had as much luck. But that might be because I have the universe's most useless SCSI card installed.

It's a solid unit though. And worked well for me for over 4 years. I don't even recall needing to install drivers for it on OS 8 or 9. you still needed Toast or some other buringing software, but with OS 9.2.2 I think it is actually supported through the desktop burning software now...

I haven't tried that myself though.

:cool:

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
I have an internal version of this drive that I put in an external SCSI case. I paid less than $100 for it (brand new) a few years ago on clearout.
The unit works quite well but I haven't tried it in at least a year since I have moved to firewire external drives.
This is a hard unit to price since it will depend on your needs. If you have an older mac that can't be upgraded to firewire then this 6x SCSI burner is about as fast as you're going to get without paying a boatload of money. In that case, $50 to $75 would seem reasonable for this unit.
If you have firewire capability I would forget about the SCSI burners since you can easily get a new fast firewire burner for about $200.

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
I have an internal version of this drive that I put in an external SCSI case. I paid less than $100 for it (brand new) a few years ago on clearout.
The unit works quite well but I haven't tried it in at least a year since I have moved to firewire external drives.
This is a hard unit to price since it will depend on your needs. If you have an older mac that can't be upgraded to firewire then this 6x SCSI burner is about as fast as you're going to get without paying a boatload of money. In that case, $50 to $75 would seem reasonable for this unit.
If you have firewire capability I would forget about the SCSI burners since you can easily get a new fast firewire burner for about $200.

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
I forgot to mention that there is a store in Toronto on Spadina, just north of College, that has new Ricoh 6x SCSI burners for sale. $99 External, $79 internal.
If you decide on the Yamaha version make sure you get the SCSI cable too. A high density SCSI 2 cable may be hard to find outside of the big cities.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know this is a little late. :rolleyes:

Thank you "Rob" from Windsor and "Strongblade" from Ottawa for your input and advice. I bought the CD-burner, now all I need is some time this spring to get down to some "burning" . . . I mean data backup with it. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts