Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone use Adobe's GoLive to design web pages? How does it compare to say Macromedia's Dreamweaver? Is it easy to design complex web pages with?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
GoLive is a pretty good program to design large sites with. It has a site manager aspect which really impressed me.

I do find it overly complex at first. I'd recommend getting the GoLive book if you plan on doing anything large.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What version do you have, Strongblade?

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
I have GoLive 6 and the things that make it for me are:

The Site manger, which makesit easy to keep track of everything to do with your site.

Consistent Adobe Interface, because i also work with Photoshop and Illustrator.

What I don't like about it:

It makes style sheets the ugly way (this is subjective, I like my CSS formatted a certain way).

Hard (I am not even sure if it is possible because I don't use it too much anymore) to make it generate code in anything other than HTML 4.01.

It is kind of slow, especially on older hardware.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Well I'll chime in on this way. I first used GoLive 4.0 on Windows then moved up to GoLive 5.0 on Windows. I them moved to Mac where I used GoLive 6.0 and now I am using Dreamweaver MX 04 on both platforms. I by no means consider myself and expert but have been hacking around for years.

I like both products and have moved over to Dreamweaver simply because I want to get more involved in server side stuff, database and the like. It seems as Adobe in their great wisdon has dropped Dynamic Content from GoLive CS. I though I would give Dreamweaver a whirl.

For either program I would recommend a good understanding of how HTML really works. This makes it easier to debug some of the code that is produced with either program.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I used to use Go Live but moved to Dreamweaver because GoLive used to mess up a lot of php and asp code.

Both programs tend to overcomplicate the HTML to a certain degree, but I find dreamweaver to create better markup.

Dreamweaver is more of an industry standard than GoLive. They both have extensive site management tools which are pretty equal.

·
ehMac KungFu Master
5,768 Posts
I personally use Golive (CS) as I prefer the interface which is typically Mac-like.
I never liked Dreamweaver, always seemed like a Windows application.

The new Golive no longer has dynamic website creation abilites (too bad!) since Adobe has decided to focus on using it as a repurposing tool for InDesign and Photoshop content. Its feature list is very impressive in thei respect (drop a PSD, AI or PDF file in there and it dynamically creates the web graphics for you and such) but if you want high-level coding capabilities Dreamweaver is better supported for that.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Adobe Golive CS is definately more Mac like than Macromedia Dreaweaver and definately has a more consistent interface in my opinion. It isn't without its share of small bugs and quirks though, that Adobe needs to address. But overall, yes I would recommend GoLive over Dreamweaver.

Also, ever tried the latest version of Dreamweaver 2004? EXTREMELY slow!. This has been confirmed on both a Dual 1.25Mhz G4, and 1.8Mhz G5 with 1GB Ram.

Hope this helps.

[ January 15, 2004, 10:37 AM: Message edited by: Mac à Montréal ]

·
Registered
134 Posts
You can download the complete Real World GoLive 6 book in PDF for free at http://www.realworldgolive.com

The book will give you a really good insight into the program's workings (as well as website construction, etc., etc.) and even includes a comparison between GoLive and Drteamweaver.

It's about 13mb, but well worth the wait--even on a slow connection.

I've used it since version 4 and find it excellent.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
:D

Pras, hats off for the link dude. Just what I needed. Been sitting on this app (still in shrink wrapped). I'll get on this fer sure! ;)

H!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Ohenri, I'm glad you found the link useful.

After several years of working with GL I've still got a lot to learn and I'm constantly amazed at how much these two writers know--and they have a real talent for simplifying things (and slipping in a bit of humour at the same time).

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am using Golive to the time it was Cyberstudio.

This is my tool of choice and all the opinion here seems right.

When I try Macromedia products (older than MX version) I recognize the akwardness of their products and feel more home with Golive.

The decision of Adobe to scrap LiveMotion ( Adobe Flash alternative) and the abandon of the possibility to produce Dynamic content (was available older version but third party plugin can replace in a better way that lost functionality—see Adobe)
I have the impression that Adobe is going out of is Web publishing business leaving is faithful user in the dust and I will start to learn Macromedia MX and web products just in case.........

·
Registered
33 Posts
This is the answer of StrongBlade (moderator) to my impression about Adobe Web products.
You can see my Web work at grafgroup.ca all made with golive.

LiveMotion was axed for financial reasons... it wasn't making any money off of it.
However, GoLive and several other Internet-friendly apps are going strong. They have no plans to discontinue them.

[ January 19, 2004, 12:56 PM: Message edited by: Strongblade ]
--------------------
Strongblade!
Mac Moderator of the Envy News Forums

·
Registered
33 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts