Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,665 Posts
Are people still installing Flash on their computers? Sheesh...

Even for those that might not need it, this nasty one presents itself to the unsuspecting user as a must needed thing, so they go ahead and click the approval and installer.

It doesn't help much with so many preaching that the "Mac is safe and protected" that they think they are completely safe. NOT!!!

But members should be thankful for your posted info, and thanks for that and the sort of warning.

- Patrick
======

·
Premium Member
15,665 Posts
Is there an alternative?

I still keep running into many sites that require Flash to run.

If you need it and use it, as I and many others do as well, just keep it updated using the Abobe updater (System Pref Flash pane) and avoid using any web update suggestions.

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you need it and use it, as I and many others do as well, just keep it updated using the Abobe updater (System Pref Flash pane) and avoid using any web update suggestions.
Does Chrome still offer a sandboxed version of Flash that enables it to still access sites that haven't updated to newer code?

A couple of years ago some sites wouldn't offer the user an alternative (HTML5) player for Flash media if it detected the Flash plug-in available within the browser. Removing the plug-in would deliver the newer / alternate version of the site.

·
Premium Member
15,665 Posts
Does Chrome still offer a sandboxed version of Flash that enables it to still access sites that haven't updated to newer code?

I don't know.
And I don't think it even worked properly for some on-line games sites that relied on updated Flash stuff being installed.

·
Premium Member
17,773 Posts
THIS! Those fake Flash installers have been around for eons. Have even had them tell me I needed to update immediately after I updated manually. No surprise that they would be Malware laden

1 - 7 of 7 Posts