Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
Wait for the users who insist on this user-unfriendly unattractive crud to answer your questions. Personally I use Microsoft Messenger, it's simple, pretty true to the Windows version interface, does everything I need. Quirks is that it doesn't do webcam and it disconnects a bit on the first sign of internet connection instability but the only person I talk to on webcam anyway is my friend in Korea who also has a Mac so we use iChat, and my internet connection is mostly stable. Adium is not all that bad I used it during times when I hated Microsoft Messenger but it seems the more features they try to cram into it the harder it is to use.

·
Premium Member
15,709 Posts
umm what the how?how do I use this krud that you apple loving kids use.
thanks.
:)
It might be time for your dad to password his ehMac account better, or perhaps log out when not using it, or cut off your allowance... you get the idea.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Wait for the users who insist on this user-unfriendly unattractive crud to answer your questions. Personally I use Microsoft Messenger, it's simple, pretty true to the Windows version interface, does everything I need. Quirks is that it doesn't do webcam and it disconnects a bit on the first sign of internet connection instability but the only person I talk to on webcam anyway is my friend in Korea who also has a Mac so we use iChat, and my internet connection is mostly stable. Adium is not all that bad I used it during times when I hated Microsoft Messenger but it seems the more features they try to cram into it the harder it is to use.
I only used adium when msn started crashing when used with safari beta. Then i said fudge it and switched back to Messenger for Mac and Safari 2. I would much rather have simplicity over functionality anyday. I'm with ya buddy. Messenger for Mac is the only microsoft app i allow on my macbook. Office has now been replaced by iWork 08. :D score.

All i see in adium is a customizable multiclient chat. a gimmick at best.

G

·
I don't understand what you find so unfreindly about Adium .. it works very well for me. In fact it looks a LOT better than iChat on my setup, at least I have control over the interface. I also don't understand what new "features" make it more difficult to use, the setup for accounts and buddies hasn't changed for quite a while.

Lastly, Adium is probably smarter than MSN and iChat in that it actually frequently polls the server connection and actually drops you when you lose connection with the server. MSN and iChat have a habit of showing that you are still online when in reality the server dropped you ages before that and no one could contact you as you were actually offline and had no idea.

G

·
All i see in adium is a customizable multiclient chat. a gimmick at best.
I guess the ability to use 1 app instead of 6 apps is a gimmick? Good gimmick for me hehe :eek:

In reply to that I'd have to say that having mirror reflections for multiple video chats would be a gimmick ... but an app that can talk this many different chat protocols and allow you to get rid of many other apps I would call feature filled.

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
I've found Adium to be a very poorly designed piece software. Very clunky. I was using aMSN for a while, then it started crashing a lot, so I switched back to the Microsoft one. aMSN released a new version recently, and it isn't crashing anymore, so it's back on my system. aMSN most closely resembles the PC version and works really well, including webcam, extended smilies, and more.

A7

·
Mac Addict
100 Posts
I quite like Adium, and have never had any issues with it on any of the 6 Macs I have personally owned. No crashing, no stalling, no problems whatsoever.

And you can make it look attractive with a few minutes of effort. I think my list looks pretty damn good:

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
And you can make it look attractive with a few minutes of effort. I think my list looks pretty damn good:
Looks nice but how can you tell if people are online or not? Where are their personal messages? For me I was drawn to those customization features but it's confusing. I remember back in the ICQ days there was ICQ and ICQ Lite.. I always used the Lite version because there was really no need for all those useless features in the full version. I seriously think Adium needs to create a light version... something similar to Trillian on Windows.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I've found Adium to be a very poorly designed piece software. Very clunky. I was using aMSN for a while, then it started crashing a lot, so I switched back to the Microsoft one. aMSN released a new version recently, and it isn't crashing anymore, so it's back on my system. aMSN most closely resembles the PC version and works really well, including webcam, extended smilies, and more.

A7
Uh, you think Adium is clunky and you use aMSN? Because it looks more like the PC version? I think you're working your way backwards, man. I mean its all personal preference, but aMSN and Windows MSN are clunky as hell in my opinion. aMSN used to drive me nuts because it was TOO MUCH like the PC version. The interface was horrible what with all of those scrolling preference windows. There is a point in interface design where you have to say enough is enough. The people at aMSN never got that message.

Like I said, its all personal preference, but I can't see how you can claim Adium to be clunkier than aMSN. :confused:

Trev

·
Registered
213 Posts
I actually quite like the new version of Adium (Version 1.1.1) It has been EXTREMELY stable for me, and it is what a real Mac IM application should look like. Microsoft Messenger for Mac which I use to use looks to "Windowsish" and it also was giving me connection problems, where Adium would not. I have setup my Adium to resemble iChat both with sounds, and the overall look and feel. I couldn't be any happier! Plus it connects to my AOL, and MSN accounts at the same time :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
I use Adium too, I found that the microsoft messenger is alot better than the bloatware that is MSN messenger (Windows). I organize my contacts by online/offline, and it gives me a very clean interface where I can chat. I don't need more than that.

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
I'm just curious... how many of you Adium lovers have tried aMSN recently? I wonder if I'm just really not getting the appeal of Adium, or if you're all stuck thinking Adium is the best because you don't know what else is out there.

A7

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
I have tried it before and have found it to be inelegant, and too "Windowsish"
I have to disagree with you there. aMSN may be simple, but that's far from inelegant. And I would argue that Adium is far more "Windowsish" than aMSN. It's more of a Windows thing to have hundreds of flashy "themes" with little value. The Apple way is more streamlined, simple, and functional.

I guess it boils down to taste. I'm not a fan of all flash and no function. I really don't need semi-transparent frames and crazy background images.All I need is a simple MSN client that work well with Windows users, and has webcam support.

And I happen to find the latest aMSN quite elegant in its simplicity.

A7

1 - 17 of 17 Posts