Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need something for creating mailing address lables (Avery 5160-30 up). What might some of you use? I have Microsoft Word X and FileMaker Pro (OS9). Is there a Freeware program that might do labels simpler and quicker and reliably?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Have you tried a visit to Avery on the internet?
Its been a while since I was there, but they use to have "free" downloads for labels and such.
Good Luck

·
Premium Member
5,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought I've seen over some time Freeware Address Book programs that also print address labels?

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
I need something for creating mailing address lables (Avery 5160-30 up). What might some of you use? I have Microsoft Word X and FileMaker Pro (OS9). Is there a Freeware program that might do labels simpler and quicker and reliably?
The label printing in Word is a bit baroque, but FileMaker Pro's label printing is pretty simple. Plus, if you have a lot of labels to print, it is very nice to have a full-power database behind the label layout - something that the free/cheap alternatives lack.

Most people have some version of AppleWorks or ClarisWorks - it has a good label printing function, as I recall.

Cheers :-> Bill

·
Tritium Glow
7,141 Posts
Surprised no one mentioned Palm Desktop, highly capable/customizable labels function and it's free.

·
Premium Member
5,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Boy, thanks for all the replies. I do have AW, but there are some little quirks I don't like about the function. Word- i have and have yet to figure it out. I may give Filemaker Pro a try. I sure wish I had an update for OSX.

·
Premium Member
17,991 Posts
Well, if you can wait a few weeks, Panther is supposed to be able to print labels directly from the Address Book.

In the meantime, why not use AppleWorks, if it's already on your hard drive? Just a hint: It's not exactly obvious, but the method is very easy. Just check the Help system in AppleWorks for step-by-step instructions.

Personally, I've spent years trying to figure out Word's stupid method for doing labels. I could never figure out why Micro$loth (or an overachieving scripter) didn't find a way to take a plain-text (or Normal) document full of addresses and have a "convert to labels" command. Frustrating as hell...

M.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts