Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a customer that wants to make Address Labels (Both TO: and Return address) using AppleWorks
I am SURE you can do it with AppleWorks, but I cannot figure this out, and I cannot find a template for it!!!

HELP!!!

·
Premium Member
17,980 Posts
Yeah, this is a major learning curve for people coming over from Word, WordPerfect, etc... It should really be much clearer.

If you go into the AppleWorks Help, it will show you how to do it. As I recall, it means setting up a little database in the AppleWorks module (using that funky FileMaker interface).

It's easy once you are clued into the process...

Frankly, I was always REALLY PEEVED at MS-Word, since it couldn't take a list of names & addresses (with each entry separated by one blank line) and convert that into a labels template. Drove me nuts....

M.

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mark,
Thank you muchly, low and behold the hlp menu comes to save the day!!

·
Registered
741 Posts
I'm always puzzled to see how a 5 years old thread can be revived in no time :D

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
I'm always puzzled to see how a 5 years old thread can be revived in no time :D
No mystery here I'm afraid. This is "Orangecity's" first post, "he" somehow manages to dig up a five year old thread to reply to that just so happens to relate directly to the retail label website in his sig...

I'd label his post as "SPAM". :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
No mystery here I'm afraid. This is "Orangecity's" first post, "he" somehow manages to dig up a five year old thread to reply to that just so happens to relate directly to the retail label website in his sig...

What's he selling? Appleworks? ;)

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts
Printing return labels from Address Book...

This is one thing that annoys me about Address Book.

Address Book can do address labels, in fact it does them incredibly well.

But it will not do return-address labels. At all.

Kind of a glaring oversight IMO.
Ditto!

The address book owner is clearly distinguished from other entries with the little head and shoulders icon so a special routine should be easy futher begging the question of why Apple hasn't done it.

I have also tried to find a way in Address Book. Kludge answer: If you create an entry for yourself that has your address in it multiple times you will get the same number of labels as address entries if you ask for "All" (or "Home" if you set them all to home). An annoying workaround and a waste of disk space (if very small) but it works. You can do this just once - enter your home address as many times as required to fill a label sheet. Hit print to get the preview. If satisfied, create a .pdf of the sheet that you can print anytime. Then just clean up your AB entry.

Except that I have an entry on my card for spouse in the relationship slot and Address Book insists that the label name is my_1st_name and spouse_1st_name lastname. The only workaround to get the label name to be my_1st_name lastname is to delete the spouse entry. I have my kids, too, in the same slot but it doesn't pick up their names. My spouse and I both dislike this feature - we are quite independent and not welded at the hip, or whatever the expression. We both object to the primeval assumption that all one's correspondence should be return_addressed or addressed to both.

Agreed. But it is kind of interesting spam in the sense that this company is going so far as to pay trolls to hunt down threads related to their product. It isn't the usual just starting a thread with a link. I guess it pays off or they wouldn't do it.

What's he selling? Appleworks? ;)
Uh... duh... pre printed labels..??? follow the sig links... :confused:

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts