Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
42,882 Posts
It's inevitable that the drive will fail. Had one go on me a few years back within 11 months--all backed up.

·
Premium Member
16,027 Posts
It's inevitable that the drive will fail.

That, one can guarantee.

The original one terabyte HDD spinner in my mid-2011 27" iMac died just over a week ago, which I will be replacing with a 1 terabyte solid state drive I purchased from OWC. It is currently my boot Drive but being used in my Voyager Q Firewire 800 SATA dock.

And yes, I have two recent carbon copy cloner backup clones. I have witnessed too many users in tears over the years when their boot Drive failed and they still hadn't gotten around to creating a backup of any sort. And it still happens despite all the warnings and preaching... 😉

- Patrick
=======

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
In the 3rd post in this thread, my reply to Macfury, I mentioned that I accidentally erased a HDD. That wasn't earlier this year but in March last year. Immediately after the FUBAR I used Disk Drill to do a deep scan and it recovered a lot of files. But each filename is an alphanumeric gibberish, not useful at all. For a bunch of recovered image files that I looked at, some were corrupted. Same fate with a few videos that I checked. I have left the erased drive in an enclosure after the DD recovery for a year and a half.

Two days ago I decided to have DiskWarrior to scan the erased drive. I did not expect to see any result. DW states on its website that the software cannot recover a reformatted drive. After 4.5 minutes of scanning DW showed a report. Shockingly it said that all the files and folders were recovered. Here's the scan report:

DiskWarrior has successfully built a new optimized directory for the disk named "VGR2 HDD." The new directory is ready to replace the original directory.

All file and folder data was easily located.

The disk was not mounted prior to rebuilding. Only the preview disk will appear if you preview the replacement directory.

Comparison of the original and replacement directories could not be performed because the original directory was too severely damaged. It is recommended that you preview the replacement directory.

• Errors, if any, in the directory structure such as tree depth, header node, map nodes, node size, node counts, node links, indexes and more have been repaired.

• 5 Files had a directory entry with an incorrect text encoding value that was repaired.

• 107 Folders had a directory entry with an incorrect text encoding value that was repaired.

• Incorrect values in the Volume Information were repaired.

• Critical values in the Volume Information were incorrect and were repaired.

• Volume Information had to be scavenged from the file system journal.

Disk Information:

Files: 24,440
Folders: 2,495
Free Space: 13.12 GB
Format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
Block Size: 4,096
Disk Sectors: 1,952,853,344
Media: OWC Express USB 3.0

Time: 2021-09-03, 2:07 PM

The result of the scan this time is slightly different from the scan with the dropped HDD. In that case since the dropped drive suffered a physical damage, DW could not build a new directory. But this time DW could write a new directory to the erased drive in addition to seeing the recovered content in the Preview disk. I did not choose to build a new directory right then but opted to launch the Preview volume. I wanted to take the first opportunity to transfer the recovered files and folders to another drive.

When I clicked the Preview button to mount the disk, all the folders appeared with the correct names. I didn't have a spare 1TB HDD so I went out to purchase a blank drive right away. I formatted the blank drive in a FireWire enclosure with another Mac, then connected the new drive to the Mac that had DW running.

I proceeded to transfer a small folder to the new drive. When the transfer finished I checked a few files in the folder. They opened fine and the content was intact. Then I transferred a folder of music. I played one tune and it played fine.

After transferring another folder of files, I opened a video. It played fine too.

The erased 1TB drive was nearly full, with just under 15GB empty space. It took more than half a day to transfer all the recovered files to the new HDD.

After transferring all the files and folders to the new 1TB HDD, I had DW to write the newly built directory to the erased drive. That took about 45 seconds and the drive mounted like before with the name VGR2 HDD. I then disconnected it and mounted the rescued VGR2 HDD to my other Mac. No problem mounting it and everything was there.

Once again DiskWarrior came to the rescue!

·
Premium Member
16,027 Posts
Once again DiskWarrior came to the rescue!
That is great news that DiskWarrior is still able to do some of its magic for some users. Unfortunately, it seems that its time is limited with the new drives and the new formatting that many are now using.

I don't know of anything that comes even close for use with the newer drives and their latest Mac formatting.

- Patrick
=======

·
Premium Member
31,002 Posts
Good news (y)

DiskWarrior is a fine and reliable app. It is compatible with all Intels and will be with M1s soon.

However it is even more imperative to backup...we like CarbonCopyCloner in tandem with TimeMachine. Split a USB backup drive and use half for a clone and the rest for TM.

What Will Not Be Possible in DiskWarrior 5.3
  • Rebuild of the Startup Disk will not be possible due to the APFS filesystem.
  • Rebuild of Time Machine Volumes in the APFS format.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts