Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone

I am trying to understand terminology around access points and wi-fi. My home configuration is as follows: DSL modem that feeds into a WinXP machine through USB. This then feeds into a standard 4 port hub. The internet connection is then distributed through standard Cat 5 cable. Works well for internet; less well for printer but that's another question...

Here is my challenge: I have two airport/wi-fi card equiped laptops (one runs W2k, the other is a PowerBook Alu 12) that share a single RJ45/Cat 5 cable through the wall. Ideally, I would like some sort of wireless 'thing' that attaches to the RJ45 and boradcasts to the airport cards in the laptops. I don't need any router facility, simply something that connects me to the hub.

Now I am confused about access points: some are small, some are big, some broadcast out (i.e. take the signal from an ethernet card and direct it by wireless to a wifi router). I am sure it's a question of terminology...

Later in the year, when I have a bit of money, I want to replace the current setup with a DSL 54g router. I expect that the solution to the above will still work through one of the physical ports of the said router. I will still need this 'remote antenna' at the end of a piece of cable because my walls are 15" thick (try a hammer drill into that!) and the wireless signal is unlikely to travel to the next room, even via an open window!

Thanks

·
Registered
470 Posts
moscool - Until I read the part about the stone walls, I would have suggested a simple wireless router connected to the PC and modem.

You need an Access Point on that cable through the wall.
Most manufacturers make them. Since they're not in high demand, they do cost more than a router.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts